Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Parts question

I was looking for consensus on parts... I am looking at parts for my 02 Land Rover and there are OEM one and they usually double the after market parts. What has been the experience with these parts? Are the OEM worth the extra $$? If I can save some and not affect the overall functioning... I am all for it. Thanks for the help.

Cheers!!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:29 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that depends on the part. You should ask here on a case by case basis. For example, I tried cheap MAF's, kept getting constant check-engine lights, finally purchased OEM Bosch unit and the problem went away.

However, for a radiator issue I had, the consensus was that a relatively cheap aftermarket unit was very good quality.

Also, this thread about the general quality of aftermarket suppliers might be of help:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-turner-70286/

Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

BritPart is low end, but a mentioned a lot has to do with the part itself.
that say i have never gotten a really crappy part from any of the bigger suppliers like Atlantic British or Rovers North.

The following users liked this post:
clint70 (11-27-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that OEM might not be the same part as when your truck was built, they have gone through Ford and BMW ownership to TATA and the tools can move to lower bidders to produce, etc. This is common when automotive parts go from production to service parts.

I like to stick to major names (ex: Bosch), but even that can be subbed to another supplier.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay away from BritPart, or Sh*tPart as they are more commonaly known. Other aftermarket parts like Bearmach are good but difficult to find in the US. There are a number of LR suppliers like lucky 8 llc, Atlantic Britsh to name a few who are reputable and have good customer care with sound advice.

Disclaimer, I work for neither company nor do I reprresent either company but I have had excellent results from both of them

Old 11-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by potxoli
I think that depends on the part. You should ask here on a case by case basis. For example, I tried cheap MAF's, kept getting constant check-engine lights, finally purchased OEM Bosch unit and the problem went away.

However, for a radiator issue I had, the consensus was that a relatively cheap aftermarket unit was very good quality.

Also, this thread about the general quality of aftermarket suppliers might be of help:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-turner-70286/
X1. It really does depends on the part. Many Britparts are total cr@p and false economy. Critical parts or those that are hard to access later I would always use quality parts, typically, driveshaft rebuilds using GKN or Hardy Spicer. Engine parts, transmission seals etc I always use OEM or LR. Bolt on pretty bits I can tolerate cheaper aftermarket parts. Bearings always SKF, Timken etc, top quality makes and they're not a lot more $$$$.

Checkout the comparative prices, you get what you pay for!!! http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/SubCateg...overy-2--m-292

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 11-29-2014 at 04:35 PM.