Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People of Craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default People of Craigslist

I would normally never do this, but I need to vent a little and share a recent Craigslist experience w/ you guys. Hopefully, you get a little Friday chuckle like I eventually did. I must admit, I didn't at first...I wanted to grab my Springfield XDm 40 and...

So, I have been keeping my eyes out for a parts/donor truck and finally came across one in that fell into my wheelhouse. It was original priced at 1200, then it dropped to 1000, now it's down to 900. I had to go take a look to cure my curiosity.

I responded to the C-list ad by emailing my interest and offered intent to purchase. I received an email back w/ a phone number asking me to "text" when I'm on my way. So, I guess texting is the thing now?! I hate it. Especially, when I'm trying to negotiate a deal. Whatever, I honored his request and texted away my e.t.a. The guy proceeded to text me vague directions to find the Rover. Despite my attempt to get him on the phone to ask for more precise directions he ignored my calls & directed me via text to the location of the Rover.

Here is the C-list ad.
Landrover 2000 Discovery

I finally spot it after driving around a bit. My initial impression was the truck was rough. I noticed both driver's and passenger side rear chassis tail was way beyond salvageable. The entire frame was rotting away. It seemed like if I was to pull the truck forward onto flat bed w/ a winch the rear half of the truck would have collapsed. I'm really surprised it hasn't crumbled under it's own weight. Plus, the interior was really rough This one wasn't for me.

Again, honoring the request of my new C-list buddy I sent him a respectful text declining my interest and wishing him luck w/ the sale. Or at least I thought...

Here's the screenshot of our conversation. This is unedited, I did not delete Anything.

Name:  2015-04-10%2017.33.27_zpsva83adqi.png
Views: 88
Size:  217.3 KB

Name:  2_zps49alea3r.png
Views: 107
Size:  216.7 KB

Whoops, I forgot to blur out his number. In case you're wondering, I'm **** face. Feel free to send him a text, he apparently likes texting.

People are unbelievable. If this guy only knew....

Last edited by coors; 04-10-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I had a couple of CL experiences similar to this when I was looking for my truck. This takes the biscuit though.

I like how their spelling and grammar is always pristine.

I've just offered him $300.

Not really.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I mean it's all relative.. I'm kinda surprised at your initial offering after seeing it (just walk away...) but even more surprised that you'd look for defense on here.

Considering the blood sweat and tears people put into keeping their trucks running and happy on the roads, some of us have picked these things up in the midst of rust or corrosion issues that are beyond our control. It's one thing to say you're not interested, but if you threw that number at me I'd probably tell you something similar lol.

That's what, less than the going rate for a complete front bumper cover?!

Wheels and tires.. another $400? So double your offering for a couple parts that will sell in a day on CL.

Just throwing it away as a parts car you'd make $3k FAST.

I spent $800 on a parts car but only negotiated access to chop up the front of a completely dead vehicle (nothing mechanical, just body parts, hood fender inner outer etc and cooling/condenser etc etc etc).

Even if the car is rough, I think you're losing some perspective here. If it was indeed running (at any level) and not overheating, that's a damn steal. Box the $hit out of the frame and weld some plates on there, grind everything off, throw some chemical rust neutralizer on there and coat the entire thing in POR15.. SICK vehicle for a few hundred bucks. Or even at that price, as a parts car if it never drives another mile again.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll offer him $200 and a cockpunch.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by EstorilM
I mean it's all relative.. I'm kinda surprised at your initial offering after seeing it (just walk away...) but even more surprised that you'd look for defense on here.

Considering the blood sweat and tears people put into keeping their trucks running and happy on the roads, some of us have picked these things up in the midst of rust or corrosion issues that are beyond our control. It's one thing to say you're not interested, but if you threw that number at me I'd probably tell you something similar lol.

That's what, less than the going rate for a complete front bumper cover?!

Wheels and tires.. another $400? So double your offering for a couple parts that will sell in a day on CL.

Just throwing it away as a parts car you'd make $3k FAST.

I spent $800 on a parts car but only negotiated access to chop up the front of a completely dead vehicle (nothing mechanical, just body parts, hood fender inner outer etc and cooling/condenser etc etc etc).

Even if the car is rough, I think you're losing some perspective here. If it was indeed running (at any level) and not overheating, that's a damn steal. Box the $hit out of the frame and weld some plates on there, grind everything off, throw some chemical rust neutralizer on there and coat the entire thing in POR15.. SICK vehicle for a few hundred bucks. Or even at that price, as a parts car if it never drives another mile again.
You missed the point. In no way am I seeking defense or praise. I'm simply sharing an experience. That's it.

I was completely willing to negotiate a fair deal for both parties, but was never offered the opportunity. If anyone knows the values of these trucks or their parts, its me.

Hell, the guy never showed up to even unlock the doors.

Last edited by coors; 04-10-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

I have been on the other end of one of these deals, I had a snowmobile trailer, 8x10 that was in good shape, galvanized frame, salt shield, new tires, just needed a new deck. Brand new they sell for around $3500-$4000 without the salt shield. I had it listed for $1200, Had a guy offer me $200 without even looking at it. Then tried to argue with me that because it was not an aluminum frame, it was mostly worthless. I just laughed and said I would just hang on to it then. He called back 2 days later and offered me $500... with the same reasoning. I said that I couldn't sell it for that little, thanks and hung up.

Still have the trailer and it is still worth $1200 to me, even if I only use it once in the next year.
He wasn't interested in negotiating just wanted to low ball me out of a good trailer. That is why I stay clear of Craigslist. Had too many people say they would come look at other items and never show up.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by jimvw57
I have been on the other end of one of these deals, I had a snowmobile trailer, 8x10 that was in good shape, galvanized frame, salt shield, new tires, just needed a new deck. Brand new they sell for around $3500-$4000 without the salt shield. I had it listed for $1200, Had a guy offer me $200 without even looking at it. Then tried to argue with me that because it was not an aluminum frame, it was mostly worthless. I just laughed and said I would just hang on to it then. He called back 2 days later and offered me $500... with the same reasoning. I said that I couldn't sell it for that little, thanks and hung up.

Still have the trailer and it is still worth $1200 to me, even if I only use it once in the next year.
He wasn't interested in negotiating just wanted to low ball me out of a good trailer. That is why I stay clear of Craigslist. Had too many people say they would come look at other items and never show up.
I can totally relate. As it turns out, I'm currently on the other end.

I have a listing on Craigslist for my M5 and you would not believe the low ball email offers I receive. It's down right insulting.

I get it, Everyone is looking for the ultimate deal, but come on. Whatever happened to some good ole fashion negotiations.

Anyone interested??
Text me at 610... Lol.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4969856884.html

Old 04-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by coors

32.75k... I'd have wiped the mats.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
I don't know coors. This M5 has the SMG. I want the manual transmission so it kinda worthless. I'll give you 20k for it ......lol

been there, aggravation galore.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:46 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by cappedup
32.75k... I'd have wiped the mats.

I'll throw in a new set of mats for Ya plus, make sure it's freshly detailed for your ride home

Quick Reply: People of Craigslist