Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my '04 disco se!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picked up my '04 disco se!

Just picked it up Friday night. 82,650 miles, safety devices rack, land rover driving lights and push bar. Got it on eBay for $5100! From a local dealer on a no reserve auction. Now for the issues 1-both sunroofs don't work. It may be because they will not clear the rack, it looks close. Have not found the fuse to check yet. 2-small power steering leak from shaft, my mechanic says it's a shaft seal and the box will not have to be replaced. 3-the factory fog lights in the bumper work but the big land rover driving lights on the push bar do not. Not sure how to turn them on yet. Anyone have a guess? 4-The electric condenser fan is not coming on. Can't fit my hand in there to turn the blade. I suspect it is seized because it keeps poping the fuse. When I put a fuse in the fan does not come on before the fuse pops. I think I still got a really good deal for a 1 owner local truck with 82k on it.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Winching

A) Sun roof motor issues suck. A1) They require removal of headliner most of the time. A2) The motors are expensive. Buy a used one from rover bones for less than $50! Landroverboneyard.com - Roverbones home page (505)-263-2136 B) Have not had any power steering leaks. Suspect hose maybe? C) There should be a switch by the gauge cluster that turns the lights on/off D) Take a screw driver and see if the blades spin or not. D1) look for the thread where the guy put 2 fans in instead of having the just one set up. Improves air flow for sure to lower temps.
I suggest buying a ultra gauge to monitor temps: Rover temp has 3 levels Cold, Normal, WAY TO HOT. Its electric and run off a computer. Google Ultra Gauge. Go to a soft spring thermo that opens cooler than stock. I use this one:
Amazon.com: Motorad 439-180 Thermostat: Automotive Amazon.com: Motorad 439-180 Thermostat: Automotive
It won't say it will fit your rover because its for a freelander. It will fit and looks the same as the stock. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

you will find recent posts on swapping fan motor, will cause overheating

Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Drifting

Thanks foe the replies. Anyone know where the sunroof fuses are located?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Drifting

Found sunroof fuses. They are good so the motors are bad. I can hear a very slight click when I push the buttons. By the way anyone know the CFM of the stock Ac condenser fan? And size in inches?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Winching

Can you push up not the glass to see if its the track and not the motor?? I don't know the CFM but bigger is always better. Make sure you make the fan a PUSHER fan and not a Puller . YOU want the air to be PUSHED into the engine and not PULLED out of the engine. Measure from outside of the fan to the outside of the fan going through the center to find your diameter. You can buy one on amazon. You can get the push through tabs and be done in 10 minutes. Just clip the end off the stock condenser and put it on your new A/C fan.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Do yourself a huge favor and leave the sunroofs alone.
They do clear the rack not problem, so thats not the issue, either the motors are bad or the track.

As for the power steering leak, buy Valvoline Maxlife power steering fluid, use that to keep the system full, eventually it will stop leaking, it may take a qt or more before it finally stops.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Andrew, you might want to send me your number, cause you have a lot of work coming up and I can walk you thru most of it. As an example, the leaking box, very few really good Rover mechanics will even attempt to rebuild one, cheaper for a good guaranteed used one.
Don't forget to look at my major service list posted at the top of the section, plan on doing all of that including the front drive shaft.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Drifting

Discomike, do you think the toyota corolla condenser fan motor is strong enough? It's 70 bucks is new and looks like a perfect fit.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Quick Reply: Picked up my '04 disco se!