Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pics of my Drive shaft.. Trying to find out if it is rebuilt..

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pics of my Drive shaft.. Trying to find out if it is rebuilt..

Here are some pics of my front drive shaft. I am not versed in all things disco yet. Can anyone tell me if it is rebuilt or should I race out and find one. There is a busted *** beat up land rover sticker in the middle and some white writing in the middle. If anyone needs a different pic please let me know. And thank you in advance!!!

Attached Thumbnails pics of my Drive shaft.. Trying to find out if it is rebuilt..-ds1-2-.jpg   pics of my Drive shaft.. Trying to find out if it is rebuilt..-ds2-2-.jpg   pics of my Drive shaft.. Trying to find out if it is rebuilt..-ds3-2-.jpg   pics of my Drive shaft.. Trying to find out if it is rebuilt..-ds4-2-.jpg  
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is not possible to tell from the photos, look at the double cardan end if any of the u joints have grease nipples. If not then they need to be replaced, if they do then they need to be greased. The single u joint has a grease nipple, that is stock.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks stock to me but you can only see the two sides of the joint. If the other sides of the joints look the same and there are no nipples then it has not been rebuilt. The u joints with the nipple look like this.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Mudding

Alright I will look at the other sides to see if there is a nipple. If not, should I buy a rebuilt shaft or is it a do it yourself kind of project. I have gone up in tire sizes and do not want to do any damage.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it yourself, lots of members here have done it. Here is a very helpfull write up on how to do it. Dont forget the centering bearing kit also.

One quick tip, if I had to do it again, I'd get the Spicer u-joints, makes it alot easier to grese them. I used the Precision 344's on mine and have greased them twice (when I do my oil changes) and the double cardon joint takes me a while to get the nipples in a clear position to be able to grease them.

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/propshafts.html

Last edited by tito5590805; 01-28-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Mudding

That is a great write up. Thank you. Looks like its time for a few days off...

Old 01-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by tito5590805
One quick tip, if I had to do it again, I'd get the Spicer u-joints, makes it alot easier to grese them. I used the Precision 344's on mine and have greased them twice (when I do my oil changes) and the double cardon joint takes me a while to get the nipples in a clear position to be able to grease them.
Just an fyi that Neapco ujoints have zerks on their endcaps as well.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How mechanical are you, I am concerned that you aren't , based on the fact you don't even know what to look for,and rebuilding a double cardon drive shaft should only be done with a lot of experience and or has built them before. The problem is replacing the centering ball.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how far east NC are you? it is definitely a DIY project, just plan several hours to do this job if you want to take your time and do it right the first time. It also REALLY depends on if you have the right tools, I ruined a bench vise doing mine last weekend from cranking on it so much, but then again it was a cheap HF vise. I have since bought a kit that is made for doing them, looks like a big C clamp. I unfortunately didn't get it until after I was already done (slow eBay shipper). Your driveshaft looks like it hasn't been rebuilt to me, but like the others said it's hard to tell from just seeing the one side.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Read this thread https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29302
Gives information on what you need to know about propshafts, gives part numbers if you decide to rebuild it yourself, and information on servicing them. Also what to look for to tell if it's been rebuilt.
If you don't know the history of yours, it should be rebuilt even if it has grease fittings.

Last edited by antichrist; 01-28-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: pics of my Drive shaft.. Trying to find out if it is rebuilt..