Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pics of my Drive shaft.. Trying to find out if it is rebuilt..

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to order the parts to rebuild it. I have access to the tools needed. Thank you all for the posts. I will update as well as ask questions I am sure. Is there any thing I need to do to the truck while the shaft is off.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my first one and glad I did, and the one I picked up today was from a drive line shop in San Antonio. Spicer joints, balanced and 150.00 for it all. Now to tackle the T/C output flange bearing and seal.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update to my front drive shaft

After a few days of trying I found a nipple. I finally got it on the right side to see it. I also used some channels and spoke to the original owner of the rover down in florida. It was rebuilt about 20k miles ago. What is the lifespan and what steps should I take to ensure that I have no issues with it. Last week I got some 265/75/16's on the ride. With several inches to spare and NO rubbing at all. I gained about 2 inches in height. I have a life yet to install. Any more input would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails pics of my Drive shaft.. Trying to find out if it is rebuilt..-dshaft.jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great you found the grease nipple on the single u joint - it comes like this from the factory. That is not the problem area and you are looking in the wrong place. Look at the other end of the drive shaft where the double u joints are, those are the ones to be concerned about. You must find grease nipples on those, if you do not then they need to be replaced. Lift the right front wheel off the ground, put the trans in N and rotate the right front wheel until you are 100% sure that there are grease nipples - or there are none - on the double u joints. If you find grease nipples then pump them full of grease - all of them, front, back and the one on the drive shaft. Otherwise take the truck to a drive line shop and have them do it for you - this might be the better option since this seems to be out of your league.
Btw put a jack stand under the truck when you lift the wheel so that it does not fall on your head, that will hurt.