Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinning liners

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pinning liners

Finally getting around to pinning the liners on the eBay '04. Ill let you guys know how it turns out when I finish the other side.

Attached Thumbnails Pinning liners-image.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck. Was this a ticker?

Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 AM
Winching

She was. Hopefully this fixes it. If not, I've wasted two afternoons. I should be able to get the last cylinder drilled, tapped, and pinned this afternoon. Then we will see. Man I hope this works...

Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Winching

Well, I got the truck back together and got her going. I'm happy to report the ticking has been resolved! I pinned the liners following the instructions in the PDF and got to all but one.

To add a few tips to the PDF guidelines, it really helps if you buy nuts in addition to the socket cap screws he mentions. That way, you can thread a nut on the screw, cut/grind to size, then as you remove the nut it repairs the threads and makes everything much simpler. Plus, you can thread the nut on when test fitting and screw it onto get the exact length you need for the pin. Also, go ahead ad buy the next size up tap and a box of screws. JUST INCASE. I did strip the threads in one of the pins. Luckily Home Depot had the right stuff in stock. And yes, I was careful about my work but sometimes stuff* happens.

Other than that, stick to the instructions and everything goes according to plan.

Cylinder 3 (or 4?) is right behind the drivers side engine mount. I decided against removing the drivers side exhaust manifold as it would have been a real B due to rust, and I had already narrowed the ticking cylinder to the passenger side anyway. So I ended up pinning 7 of 8 cylinders.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by willrok13
Well, I got the truck back together and got her going. I'm happy to report the ticking has been resolved! I pinned the liners following the instructions in the PDF and got to all but one.

To add a few tips to the PDF guidelines, it really helps if you buy nuts in addition to the socket cap screws he mentions. That way, you can thread a nut on the screw, cut/grind to size, then as you remove the nut it repairs the threads and makes everything much simpler. Plus, you can thread the nut on when test fitting and screw it onto get the exact length you need for the pin. Also, go ahead ad buy the next size up tap and a box of screws. JUST INCASE. I did strip the threads in one of the pins. Luckily Home Depot had the right stuff in stock. And yes, I was careful about my work but sometimes stuff* happens.

Other than that, stick to the instructions and everything goes according to plan.

Cylinder 3 (or 4?) is right behind the drivers side engine mount. I decided against removing the drivers side exhaust manifold as it would have been a real B due to rust, and I had already narrowed the ticking cylinder to the passenger side anyway. So I ended up pinning 7 of 8 cylinders.
Should be no problem. Once that starts ticking you'll know which on eto fix!

By the way, this will never work. You need to properly seat the liners, deck the block and install custom head gaskets to deal with a tick: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ictures-56419/

Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Should be no problem. Once that starts ticking you'll know which on eto fix!

By the way, this will never work. You need to properly seat the liners, deck the block and install custom head gaskets to deal with a tick: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ictures-56419/
Yeah, I'm well aware. But on a second truck with 125k miles ill opt for the pinning at first. I'm just trying to get another year or so out of this motor and then trash it. Thanks for the heads up though.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Pro Wrench

Don't take my post too seriously. I'd be willing to bet your fix will work just fine for as long as you feel like running that motor. I have yet to see a post regarding failure of a pinned liner. Is anyone aware of problems with liners after they have been pinned?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Don't take my post too seriously. I'd be willing to bet your fix will work just fine for as long as you feel like running that motor. I have yet to see a post regarding failure of a pinned liner. Is anyone aware of problems with liners after they have been pinned?
I think most people would just give up after pinning a liner....
Note - I said most people.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by dgi 07
I think most people would just give up after pinning a liner....
Note - I said most people.
I disagree - most people would give up before pinning the liner!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Winching

Giving up is never an option. But as for losing patience... That's an entirely different matter.

Quick Reply: Pinning liners