Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasti Dipped my DII in camo green.... w/ rattle cans

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You do realize that you have opened a Pandora's box for me. Now I want to plastidip my roof and wheels black. I wouldn't have considered it until I saw how good it looks on your car, so I am blaming you. Maybe even one of those hood decals, but done in plastidip. Dang it, this is all your fault, but a heck of a good idea!! Your car looks fantastic!!

Old 08-20-2015, 06:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

I wasn't sure what to expect when I clicked open your thread. Dang man, it looks great!

Just a word of caution since you changed the vehicles color- your vehicle registration card is now void since its lists the color of your Landy as Red. You may have to contact DMV and see if you can alter your registration card to reflect the new color. Or just screw and don't do anything boneheaded to get pulled over

Old 08-20-2015, 07:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I love it when people just... DO things.

Again, good job!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Overlanding
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
I wasn't sure what to expect when I clicked open your thread. Dang man, it looks great!

Just a word of caution since you changed the vehicles color- your vehicle registration card is now void since its lists the color of your Landy as Red. You may have to contact DMV and see if you can alter your registration card to reflect the new color. Or just screw and don't do anything boneheaded to get pulled over
Thanks for the tip and compliment coors! I was concerned about this to and I was actually just at the CA DMV yesterday afternoon to submit my overdue *passed* smog certification (damn P0174 code) and asked them if I needed to record the color change with them. DMV told me that it wasn't necessary since they no longer list the color of the vehicle on the registration and/or title. I checked the documents and sure enough, they don't list vehicle color on them.....just VIN, year, license plate #.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Dang, now you got me thinking about doing it. Do you think stripes could be applied? I was thinking of doing a Union Jack hood.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:44 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Joe Btfsplik
You do realize that you have opened a Pandora's box for me. Now I want to plastidip my roof and wheels black. I wouldn't have considered it until I saw how good it looks on your car, so I am blaming you. Maybe even one of those hood decals, but done in plastidip. Dang it, this is all your fault, but a heck of a good idea!! Your car looks fantastic!!
Thanks Joe! Plasti Dip is addicting lol. I want to dip everything now... my laptop, my mountain bike, my dog, my wife. lol

Regarding durability on wheels, I P-Dipped the wheels on my P38 in in dark grey with metalizer added to create metallic effect almost a year ago and have had no issues with durability. They've been on there solid since last June.

I also P-Dipped the "graying" front grill, bumpers, window trim, door / side trim and exterior vertical pillars in PDip black. It brought it back to life! See photo below.

Name:  FullSizeRender-3.jpg
Views: 2888
Size:  178.6 KB

Last edited by oliverellsworth; 08-20-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by june82000
Dang, now you got me thinking about doing it. Do you think stripes could be applied? I was thinking of doing a Union Jack hood.
JUNE!!! People will think it is a confederate flag and chase you. Hahahahaha

The following users liked this post:
Massrover (01-26-2021)
Old 08-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by june82000
You totally can do that June! I just did the logo for my craft beer bar & retail store on my spare tire cover this morning with left over camo green dip can I had. It didn't come out as clean as I wanted (too thick on the coats in the middle part of the trident) so I'm going to peel it off and redo it. That's the beauty of this stuff. F Up and just peel it off. LOL

Name:  FullSizeRender_2.jpg
Views: 2856
Size:  230.4 KB

Old 08-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by abran
What surface prep cleaner did you use?
For the full DII spray, I used the pre dip spray that DipYourCar dot com sells. Honestly though, I've used a mix of 50% distilled water / 50% rubbing alcohol (70% and up ideal) in a spray bottle in the past on wheels and a motorcycle gas tank I've P-Dipped before and it worked just as well as the prep spray. Cheaper too.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
That's amazing. Seriously. I can't even muster my usual exclamation marks because that is. Simply. Amazing.

I plastidipped my wheels a year ago despite the guidance that it would come off and it never has. I bet that lasts a long time.
Thanks for the compliment Charlie_V! I appreciate the kind words!

It's funny, I've been approached at gas stations, grocery store parking lots and people ask "Cool color! How much did it cost to wrap?" I respond a little over $100 and they're like "WTF"? Then I tell them it's P-Dip... with rattle cans. Then they "WTF" even more. hahah

I'm pretty sure it will last.... my brother has had his Jeep plasti dip in matte white for a year and he lives back east so it's been exposed to winter snow and summer heat.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dipped my DII in camo green.... w/ rattle cans