Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! 3 trouble codes and 4 amigo's

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! 3 trouble codes and 4 amigo's

Hello everyone. I really need some help here. Let me start with what I know. I bought the 2004 Discovery 2 with 114000 miles on it in April 2012. I purchased it from the original owner who kept immaculate records and followed the recommended service interval maintenance to a "T" along with unexpected repairs and maintenance at the Land Rover dealer in Atlanta. I purchased it for a road trip through Mexico and Central America. Before the trip, I completely went through and changed the following: Added Magnecor 8mm wires, iridium plugs, new head gaskets, machined both heads, pressure tested each head, valve cover gaskets, manifold gaskets, all hoses and new clamps, thermostat,changed the anti freeze to the green stuff (Prestone),New radiator, serpentine belt, slotted and drilled rotors, ceramic brake pads all the way around, synthetic oil change, Heavy duty greasable drive shaft, Bosch battery, and probably some more that I am forgetting off hand. All recommended services have been completed to date.

I put 10,000 miles on the D2 over the 3-1/2 months of our trip. With the exception of a brake light switch, and a new catalytic convertor installed on the road, everything went flawless. We put it through the paces driving through jungles, beach, mud, rocks, mountains and rough roads.

On the way back home, I drove through a deep puddle on the side of the road. Instantly my 3 amigo's and the brake light came on. They have been on every since. I dont have a Land Rover dealer nearby, so I am hoping to buy a reader soon to read the codes. I checked the brake fluid to make sure it was topped off. It was fine. I have not noticed any negative performance due to the lights so I anticipate it to be a ABS sensor.

Recently, I got a check engine light. I pulled the codes they were as follows:

P1590 transmission control module torque reduction request communication

P0441 evaporative emission system incorrect purge flow

P1668 DTC definition found. See service manual. (Code-replace MAF sensor).

Is it possible they are related? What are the common fixes for these codes? One suggestion was the MAF sensor, is that possible? I would really appreciate any input and maybe this will help someone else having similar experiences. So far, there are no symptoms showing. Please disregard my signature as I have not updated it to reflect my current 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2. Please Help! Thanks in advance.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1668 is a real bad code to have.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

First of all, in the future get right to the story and don't give us a blow by blow description of your history, it's your 3 amigos your need to talk about.
The 1668 is an alarm related issue, has your alarm gone off recently?
The 441 is an evap issue and the 1590 is a rough road/abs warning but not a code that will tell you anything.
How mechanical are you, do you have a shop you trust that has the special software to read the ABS codes and wheb was the last time you checked your brake fluid level, it is most likely low because your pads are low and need replacing.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the 1590 is a rough road code. dont worry about that right now.

the 0441 is a problem with the evap system. make sure the gas cap is tight. but more then likely the purge valve has failed. You can replace it with Hyundai part # 28910-22040 should be under $40. This isn't a necessary fix to get you home.

the 1668 is an alarm code. do you use superlock? if you click the fob twice to lock the truck and only once to re-open, it will open the doors but leave the alarm armed. you should be able to hit the unlock button on the key fob twice and get in and start the truck without this code popping up. PS: dont ever use the superlock.

you will need a shop to read the ABS codes to figure out if it is a speed sensor or a hub or shuttle valves or something else. you could also purchase an RSW amigo and keep it in your truck for long trips so you can diagnose problems yourself.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Banned

Auto Zone ($32.00 stock part) Dorman 911-800 this will work if you need to replace your purge valve. But I would perform a smoke test to verify that you have no new air leaks first before replacement.

Now for the p1668 please look for loose grounds. There is a ground terminal under the coolant reservoir that can vibrate loose and cause this code to appear. This code can be a nightmare to resolve but.... there are many other ground locations on the truck.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First of all, in the future get right to the story and don't give us a blow by blow description of your history, it's your 3 amigos your need to talk about.
The 1668 is an alarm related issue, has your alarm gone off recently?
The 441 is an evap issue and the 1590 is a rough road/abs warning but not a code that will tell you anything.
How mechanical are you, do you have a shop you trust that has the special software to read the ABS codes and wheb was the last time you checked your brake fluid level, it is most likely low because your pads are low and need replacing.
First of all Merry Christmas! Thank you for the responses. I will try to address each one and try the suggestions.

DiscoMike, sorry if I provided too much info. I usually read that people do not provide enough information to get comprehensive responses so I was trying to be proactive. I appreciate the input. I noted in the post that I have new ceramic pads and rotors with around 10000 miles on them now. I inspected them and they appear fine. The brake fluid was in the acceptable range, but I topped it off just for good measure. I also checked the float to make sure it wasnt stuck. The alarm has went off a couple of times because recently my power door lock went out on the drivers side door, so I have to lock and unlock the doors with the key. Occassionally it doesnt disarm the alarm. I feel I am fairly mechanical. I have performed all of the work done mentioned in my post myself. Unfortunately I do not have an Amigo reader. I hope to get one soon. I will be getting the Amigo codes read soon (I have to drive to Charleston S.C.).

Thanks for any additional assistance you can give.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
the 1590 is a rough road code. dont worry about that right now.

the 0441 is a problem with the evap system. make sure the gas cap is tight. but more then likely the purge valve has failed. You can replace it with Hyundai part # 28910-22040 should be under $40. This isn't a necessary fix to get you home.

the 1668 is an alarm code. do you use superlock? if you click the fob twice to lock the truck and only once to re-open, it will open the doors but leave the alarm armed. you should be able to hit the unlock button on the key fob twice and get in and start the truck without this code popping up. PS: dont ever use the superlock.

you will need a shop to read the ABS codes to figure out if it is a speed sensor or a hub or shuttle valves or something else. you could also purchase an RSW amigo and keep it in your truck for long trips so you can diagnose problems yourself.
Hilltoppersx, thanks for the input. Im not sure what Superlock is, but my drivers side door recently stopped working so I have to use the key to lock and unlock for now. I have the new power lock, hopefully I can install it soon. I am planning to buy an RSW Amigo soon , but will have a friend in Charleston S.C. read the codes when I can get over there. Thanks for the tip on the Hyundai part #. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Auto Zone ($32.00 stock part) Dorman 911-800 this will work if you need to replace your purge valve. But I would perform a smoke test to verify that you have no new air leaks first before replacement.

Now for the p1668 please look for loose grounds. There is a ground terminal under the coolant reservoir that can vibrate loose and cause this code to appear. This code can be a nightmare to resolve but.... there are many other ground locations on the truck.
lr2001silver, thanks for responding and the part number. I will try the purge valve first. A smoke test is pretty expensive in my experience. Hopefully that will be the problem. I am hoping the 1668 code is due to my excessive use of the drivers side door key because my power lock quit the other day. If not I will begin checking grounds. Hopefully the new lock actuator will take care of that. Thanks and enjoy the rest of your Christmas!

Old 12-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Banned

Smoke test = the cost if a cigar! Very easy to do in your garage.
More info you give sheds more light yes in your case the 1668 is probably due to you door lock actuator. You should replace that asap to prevent your self from having your truck potentially locking you out.

Super lock is where if you press you lock button twice your lights will flash 3 times if you have passengers and you get out and hit the lock button twice in a tow the lights will flash and your passengers are locked in!!! None of the doors will work and the central locking button on the dash is disabled during super lock.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't teach him superlock..
You can thank BMW for bringing that to Land Rover..