Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011 | 09:05 PM
|
Drifting
Default Please help

Hi everyone, my 01 SE7 Disco lately has been giving me a lot of trouble. A few weeks ago, the alternator went out. I had it replaced along with putting a new battery in. Drove it back to my college parking lot. All should be good right? Yeah right. I went out about a week later and it wouldn't start. Jumped it and it fired right up. I figured that maybe the alternator hadn't been able to give the battery a good charge on the short drive from the shop to the parking lot, so I drove it around that day for a while and then parked it. Went back out today and it wouldn't start again. Auto locks don't work, weak sounding horn, no clicking sound when I tried to start it, nothing. Please give me any advice, I don't really have any more money to put into it, I'm a Freshman in college right now and after those last repairs, my parents aren't eager to spend any more. Thanks

Gavin

Old 02-13-2011 | 09:23 PM
Mudding

You might have short or constant drain taking the battery down.

Do you have a battery charger? Or access to one?

Old 02-13-2011 | 09:27 PM
|
Drifting

I don't have one unfortunately. My girlfriend has been letting me use her car to jump mine. I might have an idea about what the drain could be, although I could be wrong, I have been many a time with this car. I have been trying to convert my car back to air springs (I know, I know, long story) and right before I moved back up to school I had my mechanic put the bags in. Unfortunately, one of my height sensors was broken and so I just had him put the coils back in. It had never been a problem before, but could the sls somehow be draining my battery? I believe I have read something about this

Old 02-13-2011 | 10:14 PM
Mudding

Not sure if the SLS could be the culprit or not.

Can you get it to an Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc. They could at least make sure the new alternator is working properly...........

After that its trouble shooting.......

Do you have a multimeter?

Old 02-13-2011 | 10:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The big parts stores should be able to test your alternator and battery for free. See what it is putting out while off and with the alternator running as well. Could be a bad alternator or more likely the battery itself (shelf life is not forever on those).
There are tons of things which could be draining the system though. Start checking the obvious things, then work up from there. Might be worth it to buy a multimeter for a few bucks.
In the meantime, you should be able to buy a battery disconnect switch. Simple switch on the battery to cut power totally. I used one on a Stingray I was attempting to restore, and would only start the car every couple weeks. Might be a bit of a pain to pop the hood each time, but at least it is better than having to jump it every time!

Old 02-14-2011 | 05:14 AM
Banned

It's the SLS, this is a known issue when you convert from air to springs, or in your case who knows...
Anyway the SLS system needs to be disabled in the car's computer.