Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP DAILY DRIVER DOWN! crank but wont start! land rover discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 09:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok, sounds good

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Check fuel pressure, it obviously has spark if it starts right up with ether.

Brian.
im going to check my fuel system today and see

Old 09-05-2018, 09:33 AM
Drifting
Unhappy

Originally Posted by No Doubt
You know that you have low fuel pressure since it starts with starter fluid but not without. Could be the fuel pump relay or even a corroded relay or fuse box, but is most likely a dying fuel pump (easy to replace under your back hatch carpet).
alright, is it possible to rebuild the pump in the disco? i don't want to have to buy an expensive pump.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Drifting
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=No Doubt;660766]You know that you have low fuel pressure since it starts with starter fluid but not without. Could be the fuel pump relay or even a corroded relay or fuse box, but is most likely a dying fuel pump (easy to replace under your back hatch carpet).[/QUOTE
so im guessing that the engine is sucking its own fuel into the motor in higher rpms? then once it gets to idle it cant pull enough fuel for its self to run off of? or is the pump weak and cant pump enough? it will run as long as i want, just as long as it doesnt drop under 1000ish rpm

Old 09-05-2018, 09:47 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

" i don't want to have to buy an expensive pump."

I know its a bad time for this reminder, but you bought the wrong car for that kind of attitude. Owning a Land Rover one should know going in that proper maintenance is not an option but a requirement. The only way to cut the cost is to do the labor yourself. AB has them on a Flash Sale right now.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RubyRoverD2
alright, is it possible to rebuild the pump in the disco? i don't want to have to buy an expensive pump.
There are tons of options depending on your skill level, comfort level, and pocketbook.

The Bosch replacement pump is just $136 at RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/land+rover,2000,discovery,4.0l+v8,1363496,fuel+&+a ir,fuel+pump+&+housing+assembly,10147

The actual Land Rover fuel pump from Atlantic British is $224 during their current flash sale.

Some people use a generic inline fuel pump, which can be as cheap as $35 but requires doing your own electrical and fuel line plumbing.

Others buy a used fuel pump. I picked one up on eBay for less than $40, and local wrecking yards sell them even cheaper.

...but... before doing that, let's first *TEST* your Disco 2 to see our problem. Heck, a bad alternator/battery (failed internal cell) can reduce fuel pressure. So start her up with starting fluid and rev her a bit to keep her going and then... Turn On Your Headlights, foglights, radio, and step on your brake pedal.

If your problem is marginal voltage to your fuel pump, then the above might identify a problem other than, or in addition to, a tired fuel pump.

Test first!

Old 09-05-2018, 03:08 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had vey similar symptoms and it was the fuel pump. When you turn the key to position II can you hear the pump prime? Pumps are cheap and easy to change out. But, yea, check the relays, alternator, battery etc first, but I’d bet it is the pump.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Push the inertia switch on the firewall and see if it clicks. Weird things happen sometimes

Old 09-05-2018, 04:01 PM
Drifting
Talking o

Originally Posted by Dave03S
" i don't want to have to buy an expensive pump."

I know its a bad time for this reminder, but you bought the wrong car for that kind of attitude. Owning a Land Rover one should know going in that proper maintenance is not an option but a requirement. The only way to cut the cost is to do the labor yourself. AB has them on a Flash Sale right now.
yes im an ASE student, i know how to do it, just i dont want to dump more money into something i dont know will work.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

First ensure the autobox gearshift is in P or N. Switch the ignition key to 2 then open the rear door and if the pump isn't whirring it is dead and there are no serviceable parts so it will only take the cost of a new pump plus the rubber gasket. The D2 will only start in P or N.

To change the fuel pump is a simple 2 hour max job, see here:

www.discovery2.co.uk / TD5 Fuel Pump replacement.

You don't need to remove the rear side panels for access as the carpet usually slides out underneath the panels. The V8 pump is normally the same or similar type to the TD5 but with less connections into it but it's in the same location.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:29 PM
Drifting
Default fixed!

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Sounds like gas issue. Check your fuel pump relay exchange it with another. Next I would look at your fuel pressure I think the shrader fitting is behind intake manifold check if you have pressure
replaced the relay (number #1 in the engine bay fuse box) and i turned the key half way to let the fuel pump kick on, at the same time i unplugged and plugged my MAF, and it started right up. WITH NO SES LIGHT EITHER!, thank you everybody for your help ill keep updated if something happens again!

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP DAILY DRIVER DOWN! crank but wont start! land rover discovery 2