Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help- Questions before purchasing a 2000 DiscoveryII

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 08:29 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Help- Questions before purchasing a 2000 DiscoveryII

Goodevening, I'm strongly considering purchasing a Disc. 2000. The seller is asking 3900$. The history is hasn't been driven in 4 yrs. This owner is the third owner. Her sister is the second and purchased it while living in NJ in 2007. Then it wasn't used for 4 years sitting in garage. It's been driven for a few months in SC along beach and local. The ABS is out (I've begun studying how to fix it), check engine light comes on, she said its because of emissions which isn't something thats checked for in SC or Ga which is where I live, additionally a roof rack leak (which I've looked up how to seal), roof paint has seen better days and the A/C she said is hit/miss. The interior is pretty solid clean, well maintained from the pics. She said I can test drive it and bring a mechanic. I've a classmate (i'm in firefighter academy) who is pretty well versed in LR and he said he'd drive me and look at it with me. I've included pictures of the suspension, differentials and frame as my bro said I should ask for them. Would anyone chime in and tell me if they think this is an albatross or a worthwhile investment from the pics and what I've noted.

I've studied on the vehicle and I'm aware that it does require maintenance like anything else and is a solid vehicle to work on if one is very inclined...which I am. I'm wanting this (my first true vehicle) to last 400K miles ideally and I'd be invested in its regular maintenance and upkeep. Working as a ff, it'd be a primary transport vehicle. I'm working a 24/48 (so 24 hrs on and 48 off) shift, so mileage driving would be low. No kids, no wife, but who knows down the line. And I'm 6'7" slim build so the specs seem doable. Mind you I love sitting in the drivers seat of a mini cooper if that tells you anything.

Also a mechanic versed in them said when i see it, check suspension see if any side sags when its turned on and also listen for sounds in the engine when driving. As I mentioned my classmate versed in them and a pretty solid car mech is gonna drive me. Lastly my brother said negotiate, for seasoned owners a vehicle like this how much would you purchase it for?

I appreciate any input I've perused this site and said maybe folks will give a response.

Thank you much.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:24 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

Well the front shock towers need to be replaced at least one is shot, look like the watt linkage is rusted up pretty good too. ( 5th picture in). Get the codes read the check engine light could be all kinds of things from cheap to an engine.
And the engine is the biggest issue ask flat out if it has ever overheated, and misfires or stumbles and often oil changes have been done, also any water in the cabin issues
When you go to drive make sure it is dead cold, and start from there, if they warm it up walk away. You are watching for white smoke in the exhaust, you may get some but it should vanish inside a minute or 2 - if it does not could be head gaskets or a more serious problem
I would get a compression test done and pull and check the spark plugs

Next based on the pictures and your comments expect to spend 2000- 3000 range post purchase

Complete fluid changes on everything: diffs, transfer case, engine oil, coolant, transmission service
New front drive shaft - this is important
All new cooling systems hoses - aluminum engine overheat is very bad
New thermostat either the inline mod or gray/back
Brake fluid should be flushed and replaced
Shocks are doubt full but you can check them
Replace the fan and Clutch after 4 years of sitting do not trust them

400k out of 20 year old Disco , I want to say no problem but frankly doubtful. Increased salt on the roads is hard on the frames, parts can be tough.

In my mind the price is too high, it sat for 4 years the big question is why that and the check engine light are red flags to me

Old 07-29-2021, 05:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Frame is pretty rusty for a SC truck, livable, not fatal, but not as pristine as some. You didn't mention mileage, but for almost $4000 and needing some work it better be sub-120k. Otherwise it is a little pricey for a truck not fully sorted. The range on these is huge, but see ones every day I would buy before that one based on your description.

The following users liked this post:
Seattled2 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 05:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

I would pass. Cheaper and better ones for sale in my neck of the woods. Check Facebook marketplace with 100 mile radius around Jacksonville

Old 07-29-2021, 10:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

I feel that outside of the condition of the vehicle and the price, this is a risky bet for "my first true car." I never recommend Disco's as a first/only car. I love my disco but it's my 3rd car and I wouldn't want one as my only car and by extension I wouldn't want my local firefighter to have it as his only vehicle! Getting 400k out of it is a huge ask and I would argue that it doesn't take "maintenance like anything else" but rather it takes much more maintenance than anything else or at the very least the penalty for ignoring that maintenance tends to be much higher. My recommended course of action for you would be to get an inexpensive (if there is such a thing in today's used car market) reliable car and wait on getting a Disco. That being said, welcome to the forum and the folks here will definitely help sort you out with any questions should you decide to get one!