Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help!! Shuttle valve bypass not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 03:46 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!! Shuttle valve bypass not working

Hi all, in desparate need of some help, I had the 3 amigo pop up and straight away that day did the bypass, all was well when I restarted the truck all the lights went out, however, when I get to about 15-20mph then bing bong the 3 amigos are back, if I pull up turn it off then on again I just get the abs light by itself, when I plug in the computer says left hand side road speed missing, and output too low, but I already changed the abs sensors both sides last week, what can I do? Please help, many thanks

Old 10-08-2022, 09:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

First, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.

Very often a sensor fault is not the sensor itself but the connector where it plugs into the harness. There are ample examples in this forum of people cutting out the connector entirely and instead splicing the wires together.

The connector for the left front ABS sensor is unfortunately mounted in a location that is awkward to reach (on the inner fender well just in front of the brake booster. When I needed to address it in my truck I found it easiest to remove the wheel and pull the connector into the wheel well where I was able to cut out both sides of the connector and splice the wires together. I then pushed the splice back through the hole in the wheel well and seated the rubber grommet back where it was.

BTW, an ABS sensor fault does not mean the shuttle valve switch bypass is not working.

Last edited by mln01; 10-08-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

What mln01 said. Believe it or not, the factory repair was eventually determined to be to wire the WSS directly all the way through the firewall and to the plug at the SLABS. In typical Rover fashion, the original wiring is simply left there. Recently when I did a bunch of stuff in the front end to include hubs, I determined the passenger front had this very fix at some point (and the WSS had still failed).

If you look at most WSSs that are sold, they come with a lot of extra wiring for this very reason. Personally in your situation, I’d just spend the $60-80 for a new one and wire it through the firewall. You could also pull everything apart, clean, verify the gap to the tone ring and all that nonsense, but if you’re in there, might as well just replace it.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:47 PM
Camel Trophy

One thing unfortunate about the sensors with the long wires meant to be run all the way to the SLABS computer is that there is no way to remove the wire from the SLABS connector and insert the replacement in the cavity (at least that I've found). That means having to splice in the new wire down under the dash, another awkward place to work.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
One thing unfortunate about the sensors with the long wires meant to be run all the way to the SLABS computer is that there is no way to remove the wire from the SLABS connector and insert the replacement in the cavity (at least that I've found). That means having to splice in the new wire down under the dash, another awkward place to work.
Preach! Ask me how I know….

The guys at GBR are who taught me this method.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:04 PM
Mudding
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Also heck and make sure you didn't miss one of the abs wire brackets. I did and the tire rubbed through my sensor wire on the test drive after I thought it was all fixed.

The following users liked this post:
longtallsally (10-08-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 05:09 AM
Camel Trophy

I just now remembered another thing. In addition to the connector, a fault anywhere in the wiring from the wheel speed (ABS) sensor to the SLABS computer can trigger the Three Amigos. In the case of my truck, I traced the most recent episode to the connector the plugs into the SLABS computer. Try simply unplugging and reconnecting the connector at the SLABS. Spray some electrical contact cleaner if you have it, but simply unplugging and reconnecting may do the trick. If I were you, knowing what I know now, I would try this before replacing/eliminating the connector.

Please let us know how this works out for you.