Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PO FUBAR stories.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I bought a disco from some guy that liked to yank off his skid plate and coast downhill for seven miles with no brakes. <sarc>

The following users liked this post:
NewToTheTwo (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Bought mine with a crank no start (and knocking while doing so) . Oil cap and tube were seized and couldn't open by hand. Jiffy Lube oil sticker on windshield. Had it towed home where it cranked a few more times before seizing. Dropped the oil pan and found a few pieces of bearings, 2 pushrods, 2 lifters, and a chunk of camshaft with 2 lobes. The back bit of camshaft had been ejected out the back of the block wedging against the flexplate.

Swapped out the engine over 2 weekends for a used one.

Had a water leak on the driver's floor I couldn't figure out. Finally pulled the windshield cowl and found a piece of glass wedged in the gasket for the wiper motor where the plate bolts to the firewall. Apparently it had been wrecked at some point and the windshield broken.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I didn’t find any hacks on any of my personal LR’s, but I’ve seen the missing power steering pump bolts before, zip tied air box lids, wiring jobs a 2 year old could do better, oh and a custom “cloth” made upper intake manifold gasket made out of what looked like an old pair of boxers... Can’t imagine why it had issues..... hose clamp holding a drivers seat together, and a shifter linkage made up of what looked like a coat hanger welded to the old OEM part then held in place with a large commercial grade ground strap clamp..

It seems a lot of people hack their vehicles up, then bitch & moan when they break down. I’ve always treated anything I’ve owned like a Military Aircraft that is flight line ready/certified at any time. So far I’m 42 and I’ve been wrenching on 4x4’s since I was old enough to hold a wrench. I haven’t been left on the side of the road/trail yet.

Also I’ve always sold a vehicle in near perfect condition. My reason for selling it was either I had no use for it (Pickup vs SUV for example) or I wanted something else. I’ve never sold a single one of my vehicles because it was a train wreck, or it was about to blow up. Everything I’ve ever owned = better off when I sell it vs when I bought it.

It will never stop to amaze me on what hack jobs people can come up with!! Reminds me of stuff like old timers using a 22LR shell as a fuse lol.
You and me could never sell used cars.

When I purchased my 01', the right rear passenger door would only open from the outside, what I found was the latch would default to child safety lock when I locked the doors?? Wtf?? Then one day the door wouldn't open from the outside either!!! So time to fix it. For anyone who has removed the inside door panel on a Discovery with the door still closed (your feeling this). I did figure out you do not need to remove the entire door panel though to open a door, and have shared that with others on this site...anyway, after the door was open I proceeded with removal of the door latch assembly, I first noticed the metal on the inside of the door was all bent to crap? Then after I removed the latch assembly correctly I realized the PO bent the door all to crap in order to squeeze the latch in the door around the window mechanisms to get it in. After bench testing the latch, I found that a PO installed one of the metal linkage arms incorrectly on the latch? When you locked the door, this linkage would activate the child safety lock!! I moved the linkage to the correct spot, bent the door sheet metal back to shape and reinstalled, to this day it works like new. I took basically a year or longer to finally trouble shoot this latch because I thought for sure I was going to need to buy a new one. this fix cost 0.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
You and me could never sell used cars.

When I purchased my 01', the right rear passenger door would only open from the outside, what I found was the latch would default to child safety lock when I locked the doors?? Wtf?? Then one day the door wouldn't open from the outside either!!! So time to fix it. For anyone who has removed the inside door panel on a Discovery with the door still closed (your feeling this). .
I had a door like that.....child lock was on and the metal linkage was missing so I couldnt open it from the inside or outside. I was able to pull the weather seal back and get to the child lock latch with a screw driver and open it from the inside. Once I got the new linkage in all was good, I pretty much fixed or replaced something on every door. (actuator,regulator,linkage, door pin ......)

Old 05-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I’ve sold a lot of 4x4’s in the past. Jeeps & my H3’s, but they didn’t sell overnight. I waited for the proper person to finally pop up who knew what they were getting & basically knew they were getting a nearly new & perfect vehicle. H3 wise it was better than when it rolled off the showroom (lots of important mods were done). I also never lost $$$$$ on anything I’ve sold. Trade In’s = not on my watch lol. I’ll get a loan on the new vehicle & usually have mine sold before the first payment & then I just pay it off.

Only issue I’ve ever had was selling an 03 D2 as is without a title. I clearly advertised it saying for parts or off road only. I provided a bill of sale. Then a week later the idiot tried to get me to buy it back or pay off the 1k lean on it. I double checked myself & that was purely up to the buyer. I don’t like threats via email or voice mail so I ignored em. 2 months later I pass it driving down I-10 at 70MPH with current tags... 99% sure the dude was trying to scam me. I now won’t even attempt to buy or sell a vehicle without a title.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Liquid head gasket sealant