Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

popping noise in rear end 03 DII

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012 | 10:15 AM
Administrator

Have you ruled out the diff and if so how did you do that?
Your trailing arms will normally not pop unless they are about to pop out and you would see that when inspecting them.
It could be the watts linkage or a shock bushing if your diff is not the issue.
Yes, they are a pain in the *** to replace.

Old 08-27-2012 | 10:41 AM
|
Mudding

I replaced the rotoflex about a week ago an in the process of doing that I had the rear end jacked up and slowly rotate the rear wheels. I didn't feel any resistance or noise in diff when doing that. It also doesnt make any noise after the initial clunk. When doing a u turn for example it makes only one noise as you keep driving it doesn't make any more noises. I would think a bad dif or tooth missing from ring gear would make noise all the time would it not?

Old 08-27-2012 | 02:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Did you check if the lug nuts are tight?

Old 08-27-2012 | 02:26 PM
|
Mudding

Yes. Checked all four corners they are all tight

Old 10-04-2012 | 08:34 PM
|
Mudding
Default update 10/4

So, over the weekend I replaced the outer bushings in the watts linkage. It was a huge PITA. Got them done though and was hopeful that was the fix I needed. It wasn't. Wife pulled into the driveway tonight and I heard the Pop noise from 35 feet away. I took it for a drive and still popping when turning left and right. Noise is very louad and crisp sounding metal on metal clunking popping noise. Is definitely slowly getting worse. I crawled under the rig tonight and put a ratchet strap from frame to axle both directions and tightened it and I couldn't replicate the noise. I put the strap from the axle to the frame and tried to tighten it pulling the axle forward and it didn't pop or make the noise either. I am losing my mind with this thing. Every turn it makes this stupid noise and I can't figure out where its coming from.

i have jacked up the rear end and checked for play at each wheel and they are both tight. I have turned the driveshaft and each wheel independently and no resistance or noise at all, so I don't think its the diff. Its not the sway bar as the noise was still there when teh sway bar was disconnected. Any tips or suggestions are welcome. Next thing in my mind are the 3 center watts bushings but they are $ or the 2 large bushings that connect the control arms to the frame. BUt, i would like to be able to know what is the wrong before throwing more time and $ with zero results. Any tips or advice are more than welcome.

Old 10-05-2012 | 09:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Have you tried draining the diff fluid to make sure there are no chunks of metal in the fluid? It could be jumping a tooth only on hard turns, maybe. If not you could drive it until it gets so bad you can replicate the noise when your doing troubleshooting.

Old 10-05-2012 | 10:36 AM
|
Mudding

I drained diff fluid about 6 months ago and it was fine. Its not only hard turns, going down the street at 30-40 i can crank the wheel left and right like a slalom course and it clunks like clockwork each direction. Really don't think its the diff.

One thing I forgot to mention. When I was replaceing the out bushings on the watts links (the round end) I checked the forked end and those bushing seemed tight, but lots of rolling movement. Can twist the joint up and down almost like a heim joint. Is that the way they are designed? Or should those bushings be tight and solid like the round end? I assumed they were meant to swivel like a heim joint but looking at photos of new ones it doesn't really look like it.

03 2003 Land Rover Discovery Link Bushing - Suspension - First Equipment Quality, Genuine, Rear - PartsGeek

The lower photo is the one in question. THe upper is what I replaced last weekend.

Old 10-08-2012 | 10:21 AM
|
Mudding

anybody ?

Old 10-08-2012 | 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Sound carries in strange ways, maybe the problem is in the front end and not related to the rear at all. The fact that the noise is so related to steering back and forth I would check tie rod ends, drag links and ball joints. The drag links on my 03 by the 100k mile marks where pitiful.

Old 10-08-2012 | 11:52 AM
|
Mudding

Maybe, hadn't really considered that. I am going to have the wife drive while I sit in the cargo area and try to listen for where it is coming from.

Quick Reply: popping noise in rear end 03 DII