Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

popping noise in rear end 03 DII

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012 | 03:32 PM
Winching

Yeah I had the clunking sound whenever I took a left turn, turned out to be tie rods. Also recently I had another weird clunking under my feet, thought it was my transmission but it turned out to be bad brakes. Everythings all fixed now.

Old 10-08-2012 | 07:48 PM
Winching

not sure if this will help but I had a similar noise and when I had the track rod and drive link replaced all was good again. Mine also sounded like it was from the rear and did it with every turn and from stop to go.

Old 04-17-2013 | 10:43 AM
Mudding

Just came across this as I was wondering why I am getting a pop or thud type of a sound from the rear end when I am turning corners, and occasionally in a straight line. Just seeing if anyone narrowed it down to a common problem.

Old 04-17-2013 | 11:16 AM
|
Mudding

I have been chasing this for over a year. I have replaced the track bar, drag link, sway bar bushings, and all 5 bushings in the watts linkage. Slowly but surely getting worse, but now it is bad enough it's easy to tell its in the rear end. When going over a speed bump very slowly there is no noise in the front end, but as soon as a rear tire touches the bump there is the loud and familiar "clunk". I am going to replace the control arm bushings soon. the ones that connect the arm to the frame and the arm to the axle. Hopefull and optimistic that will finally fix the ultra annoying clunk. There are many moving parts in the suspension on these things, seems like around 100-120k miles every bushing and joint needs replaced to keep them quiet. I will update on my progress.

Old 04-17-2013 | 03:36 PM
Mudding

Oh man, if it's not one thing, it's the other!

I really would like to get this resolved though, hopefully it's cheap!

Old 04-17-2013 | 03:40 PM
Camel Trophy

I had a similar clunk when my driver side rear coil spring wasn't seated properly.

Old 04-18-2013 | 02:15 PM
Mudding

It just started out of nowhere one day, and I think I'm hearing it more often. I have quite the headache from thinking about locating another problem, I just replaced my throttle body heater a few days ago as well.

Old 04-18-2013 | 03:39 PM
TReK

Probably someone rear ended you slightly and hit the tail pipe.
This pushed the U where the muffler pipe clears the rear axle toward the frame member and it vibrates.

I took steel cable and tied it to a cement base of a lamp post.
Went into low range and yanked on the muffler.

Low and behold - the U unbent a little and the pipe now clears the frame.

Old 04-19-2013 | 12:32 AM
6th Gear

Hello all,

I now have this exact same problem. It started as soon as I replaced the entire watts link assembly on my D2. I bought a kit that was already assembled. Here is the link: 1999-2004 Discovery II Transverse Link Assembly

This kit is very inexpensive compared to some of the other kits I have seen that are not assembled. I would guess our clunking sound is from the build quality of these bushings.

Has anybody replaced theirs with high end bushings? If so... Was the clunk still there?

Old 04-24-2013 | 10:31 PM
6th Gear

Okay so it turns out it was my own mistake. I had the linkage on backwards. To me it was impossible to see that one side differs from the other. It HAS to go on the exact same way it came off. So... I flipped it around, assembled it back together, and torque it all up with the wheels on flat ground. It came out perfect and is very smooth now. It corners great and no more clunking. The assembled kit I bought wasn't a bust after all.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: popping noise in rear end 03 DII