Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roverparts.com has the bushing for $72, or I can buy all five for around $225. I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to drop a little extra money and get all five.

Is this a mechanic job or a DYI? It doesn't look as if changing them out would be that hard, but I'm sure those are famous last words!

Also, I got my first glimpse of the three amigos today. They popped on followed by three chimes, but were gone when I started the car back up (this has happened twice today).

I know that the back brakes are almost ready to be changed, but wasn't planning on doing that for another week or two. Could that be causing it? I've also heard that dirty sensors or low brake fluid can be the problem.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Drifting

To follow up on my previous post, I am noticing some extra brake dust and thought that might be part of the problem in terms of causing a sensor to trip.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WindrockRover
To follow up on my previous post, I am noticing some extra brake dust and thought that might be part of the problem in terms of causing a sensor to trip.
fingers crossed for you.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Drifting

That sounds like a nice way of saying "Dream on, new guy!" Can't blame a guy for being optimistic.

It sounds as if most of the problems like this are common among Discovery owners, so what most usually causes the "three amigos" to happen?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Roverparts.com has the bushing for $72, or I can buy all five for around $225. I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to drop a little extra money and get all five.

Is this a mechanic job or a DYI? It doesn't look as if changing them out would be that hard, but I'm sure those are famous last words!

Also, I got my first glimpse of the three amigos today. They popped on followed by three chimes, but were gone when I started the car back up (this has happened twice today).

I know that the back brakes are almost ready to be changed, but wasn't planning on doing that for another week or two. Could that be causing it? I've also heard that dirty sensors or low brake fluid can be the problem.
I vote that the above bolded section is hereby the unintentional creation of a new term denoting a DIY that is hard as heck: DYI or "do yourself in".

Quick point on the rest, D2 sensors can't get dirty because they're bolted into the sealed hub. Your hub can go bad though and cause the sensors to read incorrectly and trigger the three amigos. Check your sensors with a digital multimeter. They should read 900-1100 ohms.

Brake dust can cause vibration in your brakes that beckons the amigos, so I've heard.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Or, DYI could stand for "Damn you, idiot!", which I what I very well may be saying to myself if I let these lights get to me.....

I have been noticing quite a bit of brake dust. As I mentioned, the rear brakes do need changing.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Or, DYI could stand for "Damn you, idiot!", which I what I very well may be saying to myself if I let these lights get to me.....

I have been noticing quite a bit of brake dust. As I mentioned, the rear brakes do need changing.
Lolololol. Nice.