Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Por 15

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 07:53 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks fantastic, and if I do it myself, I read that the rear section is double skinned, should I bore holes and spray inside ?
or is it a case of if it looks rusty spray it

Old 04-25-2020, 08:00 PM
Winching
Received 132 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheelspin
That looks fantastic, and if I do it myself, I read that the rear section is double skinned, should I bore holes and spray inside ?
or is it a case of if it looks rusty spray it
Eastwood makes a internal frame coat spray can I didn’t use it but I think it would work, I didn’t do anything fancy just scaled it off and painted

Old 04-25-2020, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I have looked at the Eastwood inside frame stuff and do like the way it does apply to the inside of the frame

Old 04-25-2020, 08:28 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by merebel
I have looked at the Eastwood inside frame stuff and do like the way it does apply to the inside of the frame
I have not used the internal frame coat stuff I have turned the disco from a daily to a backup vehicle which is why i I repainted it since I wanted to make sure there was zero rust but now that it’s not going to be in the elements much I didn’t opt for the internal

Old 04-25-2020, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by escott16
I have not used the internal frame coat stuff I have turned the disco from a daily to a backup vehicle which is why i I repainted it since I wanted to make sure there was zero rust but now that it’s not going to be in the elements much I didn’t opt for the internal

I have not used it either but looks like it should coat good

Old 04-28-2020, 03:55 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Got a price back from the garage, not to bad around 300nz but what they want to use is a wurth product a gravel ...
I looked it up, and it’s suitably vague, and says remove rust before application but if any is left behind won’t it rust behind the rubber product ?

Old 04-28-2020, 04:02 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheelspin
Got a price back from the garage, not to bad around 300nz but what they want to use is a wurth product a gravel ...
I looked it up, and it’s suitably vague, and says remove rust before application but if any is left behind won’t it rust behind the rubber product ?
Yes, it will.
ALL the rust needs to be removed first.

The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:02 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Yes, it will.
ALL the rust needs to be removed first.
I can agree and disagree, not all rust needs to be removed for por15 to bond, but be prepared if you don’t remove all the rust to be creating a fancy moisture holding paint that will actually make the rust problem worse like it did to mine. You can see the places I did not prep as well actually pulled thin metal like sheets of por15 off like bark off a tree

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (04-29-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by escott16
I coated my truck a few years back with por15 and you need like perfect prepping because it started to peel off after about a year and was chalky and did not look good and I just redid it using Eastwood rust encapsulated platinum and top coated using the chassis black and it looks really great. I used the scaling tool that someone just posted earlier and it was a blessing taking off all the surface rust but what I found out happened was the por15 lifted off the surface and held in moisture so it was coming off in chunks along with metal I was pretty upset to see it but glad I removed it before it got worse. The thing is the platinum series of paints only comes in silver which was perfect because i like doing the two tone silver and black so I painted everyone once with the encapsulated then top coated just certain parts

you painted the muffler too?

Old 04-28-2020, 11:25 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by merebel
you painted the muffler too?
with high temp exhaust paint yes

Quick Reply: Por 15