Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Coolant leak.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Coolant leak.

I put a piece of cardboard under my truck when I park it to keep oil off the driveway. I pulled it out this morning and I noticed drop of coolant on it. It wasn't it alot just like a rain drop. Is this a harbinger of larger problems down the line?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Mudding

What kind of miles are on the truck? Have you done head gaskets on it yet? Assuming this is an 01 Disco.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Before hitting the panic button, consider where the leak may come from.

Head gaskets can leak coolant externally, but it is more common for them to leak into cylinders and make white exhaust smoke.

Now that the 800 pound gorilla is out of the closet, he can sit down; and you can examine other less costly areas. All of the hoses are suspect to leak at the fittings and clamps. The hoses to the small heater under the throttle body leak, and a kit of parts is like $25. The valley pan gasket under the intake manifold can leak, and it is a lot cheaper to fix than a head gasket. The water pump can begin leaking from gasket or front seal. The coolant container can leak, the hose under it is hard to see, and the cap can vent coolant if pressure is exceeded.

So no panic, just investigate thoroughly. Here's a pix of the cooling system, and ny of this can leak. If you can see where the drops are, look up to see likely places they came from. Next, if can't seem to find it, rent or borrow a coolant system tetser from a parts store. You pump up air to just under 20 PSI in the system, and leak will spout.

While all this is going on, keep a daily check on coolant when cold in the under hood coolant container. You want to establish that there is no dramatic loss, and no white smoe out the exhaust, etc.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cooling layout.pdf (952.8 KB, 147 views)
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Three Wheeling

What kind of miles are on the truck? Have you done head gaskets on it yet? Assuming this is an 01 Disco.
2001 86,xxx I just got the truck in May i dont know what the P.O. did.

Before hitting the panic button, consider where the leak may come from.

Head gaskets can leak coolant externally, but it is more common for them to leak into cylinders and make white exhaust smoke.

Now that the 800 pound gorilla is out of the closet, he can sit down; and you can examine other less costly areas. All of the hoses are suspect to leak at the fittings and clamps. The hoses to the small heater under the throttle body leak, and a kit of parts is like $25. The valley pan gasket under the intake manifold can leak, and it is a lot cheaper to fix than a head gasket. The water pump can begin leaking from gasket or front seal. The coolant container can leak, the hose under it is hard to see, and the cap can vent coolant if pressure is exceeded.

So no panic, just investigate thoroughly. Here's a pix of the cooling system, and ny of this can leak. If you can see where the drops are, look up to see likely places they came from. Next, if can't seem to find it, rent or borrow a coolant system tetser from a parts store. You pump up air to just under 20 PSI in the system, and leak will spout.

While all this is going on, keep a daily check on coolant when cold in the under hood coolant container. You want to establish that there is no dramatic loss, and no white smoe out the exhaust, etc.
I am going to crawl thru the engine compartment tomorrow after work. The hoses in front of the engine have new "land Rover genuine" stickers on them so I guess they were replaced some time in the last year. (Thanks for the PDF). I will work thru the list and try to figure it out. I checked the oil and it looked normal. If It helps it was at the front driver side of the engine compartment.

Last edited by xxjtvxx; 12-19-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 12-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts
Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Three Wheeling

I know I am offering little to no info I just need to be pointed in the right direction. If I wasn't told about all that ^. I'd looking a the radiator and that is it.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean your motor real well, go to the store and buy or rent a die kit.All you do is put this liquid in the coolent, let the engine run, then shine a black lite on it and where the leak is comming from it will glow green.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling

looked at it and got Ideas. There is pix of a tube running from the top of the radiator there looks like a little dry coolant on the pipe under it I tried to see it that was the cause but the frame rail was under it and no puddles or spots on it, the leak was in that area. Started up and ran it and think I caught another problem below the throttle body there was a little seepage, but nothing that looks like it would make it to the bottom of the truck. Try to get a better look at things when the suns up. And the main radiator hoses the top of the radiator have 3 different hose clamps, Black ones at the "T" on the top- bare metal version of those at in and outlet of thermostat-and screw type in there to, so I guess there was cutting of corners at the P.O.s mechanic.

Attached Thumbnails Possible Coolant leak.-2011-12-19-19.12.44.jpg   Possible Coolant leak.-2011-12-19-19.09.24.jpg  
Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

The hose clamp you are pointing at comes with the hose, so it's not surprising that it looks different than the others, it was crimped on at the factory.

The upper hose also came with the T, and so those black clamps came with it too. Does it have the bleeder in the T? That's the "updated" hose.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling

The hose clamp you are pointing at comes with the hose, so it's not surprising that it looks different than the others, it was crimped on at the factory.

The upper hose also came with the T, and so those black clamps came with it too. Does it have the bleeder in the T? That's the "updated" hose
Sorry to be confusing the 3 clamps are all on the big pipe not shown it these pictures. The one I am pointing at is were the I seen dried coolant. And it has a bleeder That is the pipe with "Genuine L.R. sticker on it". I'll have better pictures tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Possible Coolant leak.