Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new D2 need opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new D2 need opinions please

I am very close to purchasing a 2000 D2 here in Jacksonville FL. The truck has about 130,000 miles and the new engine has 80,000. The current owners drive it 70 miles a day and he says that it has a miss. Cylinder one and six and his mechanic says it will be about $500 to fix. Based on my research, cylinder 1 and six share the same coil and it can be replaced by removing the intake (which I assume is labor intensive).

It has no rust, cracked windshield, small dent in front bumper and new paint, new rotors, pads, master cylinder, tires are 75%.

Here is the listing with pictures and I plan on looking at it tomorrow with cash in hand.

2000 Land Rover Discovery

I will look at the drive shaft and look for grease fittings by the transfer case. I will be turning my own wrenches (mechanically inclined).

Is this a good deal for 2,500 or should I keep looking. Thanks for all the help and I look forward to officially joining the community.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Read my reply on your other thread.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just bought the Rover. It has 188,000 on the chassis and about 90k on the motor. She does have a few codes but I went in to it knowing I needed to do some work. There is definitely a missfire issue but I was able to drive it 40 miles home and the previous owner drove it 70 miles a day. They said this misfire issue started 2 weeks ago. His mechanic says it needs to coils. Here are the codes.

P0154
P1590
P0134
P0300
P0306 X2
P0301 X2
P0302 X2
P0303
P1300

These are all of the codes. I also know that the owner used only 87 octane since he had the engine replaced 1.5 years ago. On my way home I put in 93. I know that mot are misfire related and I'm sure the two o2 sensor codes are due to the misfire too. I would love to hear the expertise of anoyone.

My first plan of action is to throw in some cheap plugs to see if that fixes any of the codes, next I'll replace the wires and if that does not work, then the coils. What is strange to me is that the previous owner told me this came out of the blue a couple of weeks ago. You would yhink that a failing plug or wire would only happen one at a time, meaning one misfiring cylinder at a time, not three. If it was a failing coil then why would both coils go at the same time, these cylinders do not go to the same coil? Thanks for the help and I am happy to be part of the community.

Last edited by discogreg; 02-16-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You need o2 sensors (probly just front, but many recommend replacing all) and I'm guessing your MAF sensor is causing the misfires. I think plugs/wires are not likely because the misfires spread across multiple cylinders.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by discogreg

My first plan of action is to throw in some cheap plugs to see if that fixes any of the codes, next I'll replace the wires and if that does not work, then the coils. What is strange to me is that the previous owner told me this came out of the blue a couple of weeks ago. You would yhink that a failing plug or wire would only happen one at a time, meaning one misfiring cylinder at a time, not three. If it was a failing coil then why would both coils go at the same time, these cylinders do not go to the same coil? Thanks for the help and I am happy to be part of the community.
Don't use cheap plugs or wires, it's been said in many threads here that cheap plugs or wires can lead to multiple misfires (my experience working on them at the dealer as well). These engines are not very tolerant of cheap ignition parts. Since you already own it, spend the money and eliminate that possibility, I've seen new (cheap) plugs have misfires right out of the box.