Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible secondary air injection tick? Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Ad!
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible secondary air injection tick? Opinions

Hey guys, I'm trying to get rid of a loud tick that I have in my rover and I think I've pin pointed it using a stethoscope. Earlier this week I was told it could possibly be a lifter noise but when I listen to the engine via the stethoscope I notice the tick/ knocking noise is a lot louder when I put it to the secondary air injection pipe and Valve air control. But I also noted that there On the pipe fitting there's not so much of a tick but a hissing sound. Now my question is could either the pipe or air control cause a tick? If so how? Or is it possible that the pipes are just amplifying the noise? I'm waiting on the truck to cool so I can take apart the the secondary air injection but I'm looking for some feedback in the mean time.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Replace the air filter on the SAI pump, there is a how to in the write up section.
Yes they can cause a tick, I am not sure how, loose pipe maybe?

Old 02-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Ad!
Three Wheeling

Is there any way to clean these pipes spike? Would you recommend a certain cleaner?

Old 02-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With you're car running(and making said noise), unplug one of the vacuum lines from the vacuum canister just in front of the SAI pump. If the noise stops when unpluged, you're air valves are sticking open and letting exhaust back-flow through the SAI pipe.

Mine was doing the above, due to a faulty SAI vacuum solenoid. I squirted some wd-40 in it to free it up while I waited for the new one to come. It worked.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YDJ100000G.cfm

Old 02-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Ad!
Three Wheeling

Tried unplugging all vacuum lines one by one and I still here the tick. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Ad!
Three Wheeling

Just wanted to update that i found a crack in my y pipe so ill be taking it to get fixed today. Will update if it fixes the noise or not. Is it possible that i would be able to hear a n exhaust leak through the sai valves? Any input is appreciated

Old 04-19-2020, 09:27 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Ad!
Just wanted to update that i found a crack in my y pipe so ill be taking it to get fixed today. Will update if it fixes the noise or not. Is it possible that i would be able to hear a n exhaust leak through the sai valves? Any input is appreciated

it is my understanding that the SAI valves can fail and allow back flow of exhaust gasses. Exhaust gasses should never flow backwards through these valves. They are supposed to be one way valves and only let air in during the first minute or so after starting the car when the pump is running. Air should not flow into the engine unless there is vacuum applied to the valve. So if you disconnect the line from the pump, if you detect hot gasses coming out, this is indicative of a failed valve. It may be possible to clean the valve with brake fluid. Or replace the failed valve or valves. Also, if there is carbon buildup distal to the valve, it’s probably leaking. It should be clean. A failed valve will certainly make a tapping sound from escaping exhaust into the engine compartment. If this is happening, be wary of carbon monoxide. I suggest getting a 25$ portable CO scanner on eBay. Make sure your cabin reads zero. Also check under the hood.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:18 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

I’m going to have to investigate my exhaust tic as well. I got new catalytic converters last year from eBay and noticed a loud sound almost like a exhaust leak. Pretty annoying
I had the disco in a rover shop for oil pump replacement and ask them to look 👀 into any leaks etc on the exhaust. The master technician said he listen and put a scope to it and told me it’s my catalytic converters that are noisy

but sometimes when I drive it the sounds sometimes goes away or is different.
Which I think it’s weird

I might have to investigate this today cause it’s bothering me

Old 04-19-2020, 10:47 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I also have a little tick on the driver side under the hood.

I am interested in replacing the vacuum solenoid. I am chasing a little bit of a rough idle and have a feeling it is SAI related. I really wish there was a way to rip all this crap out.

https://www.roverparts.com/search/vacuum-solenoid/

Old 04-19-2020, 11:17 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Well sure enough I have a leak on the sai piping passenger side.
Looks like someone tried to put something over it before.
Any tips to patching this without removing anything.
Maybe flex seal lol

Quick Reply: Possible secondary air injection tick? Opinions