Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new Disco owner? (Jeep convert)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
Discos are great trucks, but the engine is no where as tough or reliable as the Jeep 4.0L. What kind of problems did you have with yours?
Its old, beat up, and has almost a quarter of a million miles. Reliability with the XJ has been stellar though, even after I put it through the ice on lake winnebago. It will either get sold, or made into a toy that I can still go wheeling with on weekends. The Disco will be pretty much a pavement queen, as its a little too nice IMO to be thrashing on trails.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tuck
The Disco will be pretty much a pavement queen, as its a little too nice IMO to be thrashing on trails.
No way, put some new tires on it, engage the CDL, and hit the trails. You'll be happy you did, and you won't miss that Jeep at all.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a 98 XJ with 8" lift and 35's. Now I run wither my DII or my Range Rover. You will wheel differently in the Disco than you ever did in the XJ, not that it is not capeable to do the same it just becomes more civilized.

The ley to these vehicles is service, make sure you do it and they will be great. You do need the premium fuel, it will not kill you financially not to do so but the lack of it will just cause you to start to hate the truck.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree, sell the Jeep and put some good A/T's on the Disco and enjoy life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz1dhHZ6I8

DO NOT waste your money on the octane booster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbcCr2ll3c

If this does not make you smile then keep looking for a new truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yoKzatUkI

Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Well, I just got back from the dealer, and my 2nd test drive. I did notice a coolant smell after I got back, and it turns out the water pump gasket is leaking a bit. The dealer is fixing that for me, and then sending my paperwork off to the bank...

I guess the only question I have now is anyone interested in buying a well used '98 XJ?

Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Mudding

Wow, small world...I work in Oshkosh and live just a few miles north of town.

Is that SE7 located down in Oshkosh or one of the outlying areas? I thought I'd seen all the Discos around here...

You shouldn't have any problems filling her up with at least 91 around here...come to think of it I can't think of any gas stations in the area that doesn't sell 91. We're actually kind of lucky seeing as we have quite a few stations in the area too that don't use Ethanol in any of their blends...Discos get bad enough gas mileage as it is without throwing Ethanol in the mix.

Which dealer are you buying it from?...and no worries about me snagging it...I have my own 04 SE7

Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disconoobie
Wow, small world...I work in Oshkosh and live just a few miles north of town.

Is that SE7 located down in Oshkosh or one of the outlying areas? I thought I'd seen all the Discos around here...

You shouldn't have any problems filling her up with at least 91 around here...come to think of it I can't think of any gas stations in the area that doesn't sell 91. We're actually kind of lucky seeing as we have quite a few stations in the area too that don't use Ethanol in any of their blends...Discos get bad enough gas mileage as it is without throwing Ethanol in the mix.

Which dealer are you buying it from?...and no worries about me snagging it...I have my own 04 SE7
Cool, good to see another local rover owner!

I'm not worried about getting premium in the Fox Valley area, it's more of an issue when I go back "home" to northern WI. Sometimes finding premium can be a little tricky.

I'm getting it from Turn Key Auto, in Oshkosh.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 AM
Three Wheeling

Well... The Disco followed me home today. So far I'm happier than a fat kid in a candy store, but I do have one question.

It seems that the rig has a slight exhaust leak. It's only really apparent under hardish acceleration, and a very faint tick at idle. I've yet to crawl underneath it, and do some investigating, but is there exhaust gaskets, or flex joints prone to failing on these things? It seems to be coming from underneath the drivers floorboard...

Any advice would rock!

Old 10-20-2010, 05:33 AM
Mudding

There are no flex joints, but there are 2 gaskets; one right in front of the muffler the other right behind. Based on were you are hearing the sound, it seems to be coming from the driver's side catalytic or (more probably) the O2 sensor that is right in front of it.

Enjoy your new truck!