Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Rear Diff Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Possible Rear Diff Issue

I have to admit: it has been a while since my LR has had an issue. Now it does

I changed the diff fluids on my truck about 3,000 miles ago. I thought I was hearing the signs of a bad diff the other day, so I changed the fluid. It wasn't performing poorly, it was just making some odd sounds when my foot was off the gas. Front diff had golden fluid pouring out and there was nothing on the magnet. The rear diff, well, didn't really pass the "look test". Fluid poured out nearly black and the magnet had a lot of shavings. Since I changed the fluid, I haven't heard any odd sounds and no performance issues. So am I being overly concerned or do I need to find another differential?

Thanks in advance

Picture of the rear magnet is attached.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

so what does a bad diff sound like?

Old 12-17-2016, 10:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
so what does a bad diff sound like?
A lot of dull metallic bangs. That's how it sounded before the rear diff blew up on my old Isuzu trooper so I am just going from that experience. When it finally went, it was just making a rumbling sound. There were chunks in the oil.

I didn't see any chunks in the oil from the D2, just shavings on the magnet.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam

I have to admit: it has been a while since my LR has had an issue. Now it does

I changed the diff fluids on my truck about 3,000 miles ago. I thought I was hearing the signs of a bad diff the other day, so I changed the fluid. It wasn't performing poorly, it was just making some odd sounds when my foot was off the gas. Front diff had golden fluid pouring out and there was nothing on the magnet. The rear diff, well, didn't really pass the "look test". Fluid poured out nearly black and the magnet had a lot of shavings. Since I changed the fluid, I haven't heard any odd sounds and no performance issues. So am I being overly concerned or do I need to find another differential?

Thanks in advance

Picture of the rear magnet is attached.
I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but that magnetic plug does not look too promising especially only after 3000 miles of usage. I'm hesitant to tell you to drain, refill it and drive it while monitoring for any abnormal sounds.

I wouldn't want that locking up on me on while in motion. As inexpensive as these rear units are I would replace it (with a reman and used - call Lucky 8) for peace of mind.

What concerns me is when you say, when you lift your foot off the accelerator that's when the noise is most prevalent. I had a rear diff go in my 2006 full-size Range Rover, very similar symptoms to what you're currently experiencing. When I would put a load on it - depressing the accelerator pedal - the noise diminished.

Last edited by coors; 12-18-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by coors
I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but that magnetic plug does not look too promising especially only after 3000 miles of usage. I'm hesitant to tell you to drain, refill it and drive it while monitoring for any abnormal sounds.

I wouldn't want that locking up on me on while in motion. As inexpensive as these rear units are I would replace it (with a reman and used - call Lucky 8) for peace of mind.

What concerns me is when you say, when you lift your foot off the accelerator that's when the noise is most prevalent. I had a rear diff go in my 2006 full-size Range Rover, very similar symptoms to what you're currently experiencing. When I would put a load on it - depressing the accelerator pedal - the noise diminished.
Well I am going to have to drive it like this for a little longer. Just until the new one comes. I found one with 52k miles on it so I will probably go that route as it is quite inexpensive.

I am guessing that there is probably a lot of backlash and that is what is causing it to make noise when there is no load. I am going to check for backlash today.

As far as the replacement procedure goes, what exactly will I need in terms of parts? I am going to buy the new diff, new rotoflex, diff gasket, and the axle seals on the ends of the axle. Anything else?

Old 12-18-2016, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If I don't find excessive backlash, does that mean it could be a bearing inside (if there are any in there)?

Old 12-18-2016, 01:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

I'd pull the diff to check it on the bench. I once had similar issues in my 01 Mustang. Turned out a couple of the ring gear bolts had literally fallen out, and the rest were hand tight. D*mn previous owners. Anyway, they were bouncing around in there like crazy. Not saying that's your problem, but could be something of the type which you won't find without pulling the diff.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:56 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Sadly if it's just some bronze slime it's normal but a warning but metallic shavings is more serious. IMO it's the planet gears or the pin giving up, they have a habit sometimes of the pin wearing or shifting causing a slow collapse. Cheaper to fix it now than if it goes bang big time and wrecks the axle. Speak to Ashcroft in the UK they are an authority on LR diffs. Good luck.

Ashcroft Transmissions

https://www.google.fr/search?q=cobbe...ilure+symptoms

Old 12-18-2016, 03:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I just took it to my mechanic to have it checked out. It was the carrier bearings that had gone bad. Luckily the gears seemed ok. I don't get anymore funny noises when decelerating so I think that it is fixed (for now). Thanks again guys.