Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible secondary air injection tick? Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 01:48 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

This all started when I had my car at a local shop to install my cdl transfer case

disco was there for 4 days
they messed my yxz switch they were asking me why my car was in park but still moving around
I towed it home not happy. Had it running in 20 min
did notice the exhaust sounded a bit weird but didn’t pay to much attention
oil light came on a day later
im assuming when they removed the transfer case the engine tilted probably cracked that tubing and oil sensor wire somehow got pinched.

i never went back to that shop again and told the owner the work is unacceptable

Old 04-20-2020, 03:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I used to be pretty good at brazing too, good enough to know I would not want to point an Oxy Acetylene torch at those tubes while they are in the vehicle.

I've also noticed a suspicious SAI type tic lately. Either that or vacuum leak... Seems to be common suddenly.
Yeah, brazing would definitely be considered "old school" nowadays. Back, before the invent of the mig welder (yeah, l'm that old) - which made welding a any garage/any shop/any household repair method, the brazing rod was king. All patch work, body panels and such, were brazed. Use to be pretty good at it myself, stick and mig welding too...but the old "hey, why are you welding the wrong area eyes" have left me a mere shell of my once self...lol. Actually, worked at a welding fab shop for a few years, loved it...big difference between repairing stuff and fabing up something from scratch. Anyhow, got better than most at both types of welding, mig or stick, and any type of steel and aluminum. Funny though, the best two welders in the shop were two guys that got "tuned-up" regularly. Don't know how that pot affected their brains, but they would lay down beads of weld that almost had an artistic value...lol.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:02 PM

Let’s see how this holds up. Used the whole tube. Cleaned sanded surface and wrapped around whole pipe Suppose to cure to rock hard. I’m letting it sit for a full day
this is jb weld high temp stick

Old 06-03-2020, 02:48 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I still have this issue, except it is intermittent... When it happens I have the tic which doesn't go away when the SAI pump turns off or when the engine reaches operating temps... Also as I live on a hill I can tell the difference in acceleration, it is like you press the gas, it makes more noise, both tic and engine rumble, and does not go faster. When it doesn't happen no extra engine noise, no tic from cold and when you tap the gas instant go. Also I can tell the difference in the idle... slight lumpy idle when it tics, butter smooth idle when no tic.

I assume because it is intermittent that this must be one of the valves. a leaky line wouldn't be intermittent. Would the solenoid be intermittent? Not sure on that.

Is it possible to spray something into the valves and clean them? I've seen several old threads but no conclusive answer to that as most of those threads end unresolved.

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

In for later.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I still have this issue, except it is intermittent... When it happens I have the tic which doesn't go away when the SAI pump turns off or when the engine reaches operating temps... Also as I live on a hill I can tell the difference in acceleration, it is like you press the gas, it makes more noise, both tic and engine rumble, and does not go faster. When it doesn't happen no extra engine noise, no tic from cold and when you tap the gas instant go. Also I can tell the difference in the idle... slight lumpy idle when it tics, butter smooth idle when no tic.

I assume because it is intermittent that this must be one of the valves. a leaky line wouldn't be intermittent. Would the solenoid be intermittent? Not sure on that.

Is it possible to spray something into the valves and clean them? I've seen several old threads but no conclusive answer to that as most of those threads end unresolved.

Thanks.

mine sounded like it was intermittent as well. Sometimes it would be loud sometimes now.
1- I found the bolts were a bit loose on the downpipes that connect to the catalytic converters
2- my sai tubing had a good crack in it. The jb weld heat ( pic above post ) is still holding strong

Old 10-20-2020, 09:40 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Update, Been idling really smooth lately, no tic, however I've recently started hearing the SAI pump spin up and and immediately wind down after pulling up to a stop sign, etc. Completely warmed up. I'm going to try getting a new solenoid before anything else... Found my own advice from 2012 in the search!! Lol!