Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible seized engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

If it might be a stuck starter take the two starter bolts off (they use a huge Allen wrench and should be VERY tight... You can see one from the passenger side of the engine. There should be a heat shield over the starter. It just holds on the starter with bands so you can pull it to the passenger side and it will pop off while still being connected to the motor mount. The other bolt is just above the top of the oil pan and snugged close to the engine. Hard to see unless you are laying underneath and get a long way from it with a flashlight) and remove it. See if it works. Getting a starter rebuilt is easier and less costly than anything else you'd have to do.

I had to use an Allen socket set with extensions to get mine off. Harbor freight has them cheap.

But it doesn't sound like a stuck starter to me. I think the click is the starter gear touching the ring gear, then not being able to turn.

These guys helped me when mine was seized, Kjordan. At the very least you will receive full sympathy if it is truly seized.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it not seized, hit the starter with a hammer a couple times, don't beat it.
then check your wiring. takes a 8 mm Allen socket and a 6 inch extension to remove the starter, iirc.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Ah, I was under the impression that it quit on its own like the engine locked up or something. In that case, no, it's not seized as has already been stated by Drow and Charlie. My money is on starter also.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's encouraging, although not totally convinced. I don't see any way to tap it with a hammer right now. Does the heat shield have to come off? At first glance it looks really hard to get to. Any other tips to gain access and remove are greatly appreciated!

Old 03-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Yea, heat shield has to come off. Might want to disconnect the battery also S you don't accidentally ground out the + terminal.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kjordan
It ran, changed the driveshaft and the oil, it ran again, I shut it off. Now it won't turn.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I think it's seized...Do you want to sell it for parts?lol

Old 03-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
I think it's seized...Do you want to sell it for parts?lol

Hopefully not just yet!

Thanks for all the help, and suggestions. Gonna try to dig in a little more tomorrow.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Keep us posted on the outcome. and Good Luck Mate.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:12 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Yes the shield comes off a nut and bolt in the front near the top and a spring clip around the starter.

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
Keep us posted on the outcome. and Good Luck Mate.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:56 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

I know this wont apply to your problem, I'm not even a mechanic but it was just so clever. I remember long long time ago in my teens. We got an old car from a junk yard. The engine was totally rusted with dirt all over and weeds or grass growing. What our mechanic did was to eliminate the power of the starter from the rest of the car and cranked the starter with 24volts. Very loud explosion and smoke, the car just started running.

Quick Reply: Possible seized engine