Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly getting an 01 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly getting an 01 Discovery

So I may be getting an 01 discovery and I had some questions that will help me put a value to it. I just got some pics of it and it looks pretty good overall and the only cosmetic issue is a cracked front bumper.

How do I tell if the seats are leather or vinyl? They are brown and look like leather (only seen pics) with small holes in the bottom of the seat where you actually sit. Also, it looks like the truck only has a tape deck, is there a hidden CD player somewhere? I'd think that a luxury vehicle would have a CD player from the factory... Also, what do the jump seats look like? I know where they go but do they stick out of the side panels or are they flush wit the rear panel when they are stowed? Thanks!

Are there things I should be looking for other than making sure the electrics work?

I have been researching the engine quite extensively and it looks like a pretty old block with EFI on it? What about the trans? If I blew up the trans would it be possible to stick a BOP patterned transmission behind it?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 PM
AAP
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find out if the Disco you're looking at is the SE or SD model. The SD was the more basic model, while the SE had standard leather, etc.

The leather seats in the Series II's can be identified by the dark colored piping around the cushions in the tan leather versions. The front seats will each also have an adjustable armrest. The vinyl seat models didn't have armrests (at least not to my knowledge).

Here are two shots I found on Edmunds. Notice the piping and armrests?

You can also see the optional jump seats. They fold up, swing, and stow flush to the side panels. In models without the jumps seats, that same space on either side of the cargo area is used for two storage bins instead.

The SE models came with a standard CD changer installed under the front passenger seat.

Sorry for the stock images - - I was too lazy to take some of my own right now.

One last thing. If you don't have any previous experience with Discos, then try to drive a few of them before you pull the trigger on one. Gives you a better feel for what is "normal" and what may be a problem.

Last edited by AAP; 03-09-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by AAP
Find out if the Disco you're looking at is the SE or SD model. The SD was the more basic model, while the SE had standard leather, etc.

The leather seats in the Series II's can be identified by the dark colored piping around the cushions in the tan leather versions. The front seats will each also have an adjustable armrest. The vinyl seat models didn't have armrests (at least not to my knowledge).

Here are two shots I found on Edmunds. Notice the piping and armrests?
You can also see the optional jump seats. They fold up, swing, and stow flush to the side panels. In models without the jumps seats, that same space on either side of the cargo area is used for two storage bins instead.

The SE models came with a standard CD changer installed under the front passenger seat.

Sorry for the stock images - - I was too lazy to take some of my own right now.

One last thing. If you don't have any previous experience with Discos, then try to drive a few of them before you pull the trigger on one. Gives you a better feel for what is "normal" and what may be a problem.
Cool, thanks for the info! It appears that the one I'm looking at is a base, base model. It's an SD and the only problem is that I'm not able to look at that (or any other rover for that matter) prior to making the deal. I'm in El Centro and there... aren't exactly a lot of people with the kind of money to buy those out here... I am pretty handy, I can fix just about anything on any vehicle so it shouldn't be a problem to fix stuff that's messed up.

I'm going to be trading my 64 1/2 mustang for it (plus a little cash coming my way) because I need something that I can lug a family around in, and he needs a toy.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Take a look at these recommendations in another thread.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29518

Old 03-10-2010, 07:35 AM
AAP
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TBIAgent69
Cool, thanks for the info! It appears that the one I'm looking at is a base, base model. It's an SD and the only problem is that I'm not able to look at that (or any other rover for that matter) prior to making the deal. I'm in El Centro and there... aren't exactly a lot of people with the kind of money to buy those out here... I am pretty handy, I can fix just about anything on any vehicle so it shouldn't be a problem to fix stuff that's messed up.

I'm going to be trading my 64 1/2 mustang for it (plus a little cash coming my way) because I need something that I can lug a family around in, and he needs a toy.
The Duragrain (vinyl) seats aren't bad. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. All of the bad-*** off-road capabilities are still there in the SD models. I would be more worried about buying without being able to compare it to others of the same kind. But, if it's a good one, you could get lucky.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The base models did not have the dual sunroofs, have vinyl, and a lesser entertainment package.

All D2's with leather up to 03 have the seat heaters installed, all you have to do is add the switches. The jump seats fold back into the side, but not totally flush. If you have rear air, the driver's side will stick out more.

Check the date of manufacture. I don't know the cutoff, but somewhere around 5/01 they stopped putting the lockable transfer case in. The one's before you can add the linkage to and be able to lock the front and rear. The one's after will have to be dismantled and have the mechanism added internally, then add the linkage.

The engine is an old pushrod rocket 8 Buick engine. A little prone to HG failure and coolant leaks. Do not get it hot, or you will be done with the block. Take care of it, and it will take care you you. Don't worry about trying to swap tranny's, the ZF's are bulletproof for the most part. re-build your front driveshaft once you get it to include greasable fittings. The u-joints are right by the cats and will lock up, breaking the shaft, and slapping the tranny smooth out of the truck.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
The base models did not have the dual sunroofs, have vinyl, and a lesser entertainment package.

All D2's with leather up to 03 have the seat heaters installed, all you have to do is add the switches. The jump seats fold back into the side, but not totally flush. If you have rear air, the driver's side will stick out more.

Check the date of manufacture. I don't know the cutoff, but somewhere around 5/01 they stopped putting the lockable transfer case in. The one's before you can add the linkage to and be able to lock the front and rear. The one's after will have to be dismantled and have the mechanism added internally, then add the linkage.

The engine is an old pushrod rocket 8 Buick engine. A little prone to HG failure and coolant leaks. Do not get it hot, or you will be done with the block. Take care of it, and it will take care you you. Don't worry about trying to swap tranny's, the ZF's are bulletproof for the most part. re-build your front driveshaft once you get it to include greasable fittings. The u-joints are right by the cats and will lock up, breaking the shaft, and slapping the tranny smooth out of the truck.

Thanks for all the replies. I've read about the front driveshaft and wondered how it could destroy the tranny... thought it had something to do with slipping or something, but it makes more sense that it would be physically breaking the t-case. I sealed the deal today... the truck should arrive sometime next week. I have read as extensively as I could about the motor although the information is pretty scarce on these things... Has anyone tried putting a buick 340 in there, which is a steel block version of this motor? I was looking in to the process of making the engine in to a 4.8 stroker, but with issues like dropping sleeves I think it'd make more sense to just go with an iron stocker... if you could find one...