Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post filter change issues on 2003 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 09:38 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
How many miles were on trans and when was last fluid/filter change? Was there a lot of clutch plate material in pan?

Not that strange to have trans issues after a fluid/filter change, especially, if it has been well over a hundred K since the last one. Normally, if l do not know age of fluid and filter and trans is shifting/operating fine in advance...l causion on the side of error...drop fluid, only, refill using proper sequence, drive it for a few weeks, then drop pan and change fluid and filter second time.

Normally, you'd see/feel slippage after a fluid/filter change that was prolonged to the point of trans fluid being the only thing left in the trans that had fiction qualities. With yours, holding in gear longer and banging in between shifts...almost like you got a lot of debris lodged in valve body.
Unknown mileage 145+
Original fluid looked OK. SO what I have done so far is Fluid and filter change. Magnet had maybe an 1/8 of an inch of schmutz (issues started) Bought a Napa filter and changed it with new fluid again and almost nothing on the magnet. Just recently changed to an OEM filter because some thought I might have air in the fluid. Nothing on the magnet this last time. The last two times I used Valvoline synthetic ATF hoping it would free up the solenoid that might be stuck. No joy. I wish I was fearless and could remove the valve body and have a look but I am afraid springs and check ***** will go flying everywhere.