Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post- Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Post- Head Gasket

the misfire and rumble kinda went away, it's idling at around 700 now when warm ....

not at around 600, like it was earlier ...

Old 03-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

do you know where your throttle body is? there are 2 1/4" lines running to it. Yeah, the part past the MAF. NOT the thermostat.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Mudding

I had a pressure test and 2 hoses started leaking, the thermostat hose and heater hose 'massively' leaked.

I didn't realize how ballooned the hose was.

I replaced them, had the truck sitting at a pretty aggressive angle when I tried bleeding the system again, then I let it idle and it overheated.

Another thought someone gave me, is from the previous overheating and riving around with blown headgasket, maybe the cat melted?
Blocking heat from escaping and not letting the motor to cool-down, hence the white smoke also ?

On monday going to send it back to the mechanic and tell him to do a pressure check and replace the thermostat and I DONT WANT IT BACK until it's fixed ....

Old 03-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Mudding

Started it up to see what it would do, Heater was cold, drove it a bit on the highway, temp range was climbing, I floored it to get the water to circulate 'it did' , engine heated up, I pulled over and let it idle, i must have got the water to circulate cause I heard gurgling sounds from heater core, then it stopped and heater was warm, and engine stayed normal.

Went into town (about 15 miles) everything was fine. Checked water level in town 'normal in resevoir' heater still hot.

Stopped for about 20 mins...

Started it back up, and heater started circulating cold + hot depending on how much throttle im giving it...

Little steam was coming out of the hood but was burn off from me spilling antifreeze on manifold, and everything earlier..

Gonna go out in a second and check the water level and see how it's doin..

I tried looking in the dark but I might have seen antifreeze on top of the intake under that heater hose I replaced ..... but am not sure. will post again in a minute

Old 03-16-2008, 03:35 AM
Mudding

First thing I did was squeeze the upper radiator hose, and it made a squeaking sound when I did (did this in pitch black btw)

Opened the resevoir and stuck my fingers in and touched the bottom... engine was still a little warm, sitting in 45 degree weather for about 2.5 hrs ..

Old 03-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: kraelo

I'm trying to call you from both my cell phone and business phone and it doesn't ring at all. Just dead sound ....

Phone problems on my end, they have been fixed, so call me today.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Call Mike, you are flirting with danger. Overheat these things too much and you will drop a liner and you are done.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Mudding

I spoke to mike yesterday before I did anything else...

There is water in the resevoir , little pool at the bottom, I just couldn't feel it in cold/dark.

It still starts fine and I see a little pool of antifreeze on the intake manifold under the hose I replaced.

Tomorrow my mechanic is gonna look at it (bumped into him at WalMart and he seems really interested in fixing it, he's just a busy guy)...

Wish me luck

Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Camel Trophy

SOunds like you are going to be ok, but just an FYI, your reservoir can be full and still have air in the system. If you ever loose coolant, you need to bleed it like you did before...

Old 03-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said that the hoses were leaking, and one leak was massive. Is this fixed yet, or what ???

Don't forget that the system works with pressure. Ifenough pressure is allowed to escape where the leaks are, you are not getting the performance that you should from your cooling system.

Quick Reply: Post- Head Gasket