Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post- Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Post- Head Gasket

Had them completely rebuild the heads, pressure test them, valve grind, magnaflux (all passed - no shaving) they looked brand new.

They put it all back together, fired up first try. Still has little mis-idling at low rpm's or stop signs ( i thought it was because 2 cylinders weren't firing from the head gasket - drivers side). I'm going to run some sea foam through soon.

Is there going to be condensation still in the exhaust, from it being driven with a blown head gasket ?

Could water build up over the past 2 weeks of it being in a shop ?

It still smokes white from the exhaust and they said it's water buildup because I drove it with a blown head gasket before I got it repaired, Which I did for the total of about 200miles.

Thanks for any response.

I'm sooooooooooo excited I got it back now, haha

Old 03-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Post- Head Gasket

Don't worry about the water in the exhaust, it'll clear up. Only thing that might be a factor is if it contaminated the O2 sensor. That either might clear up in time, or maybe need replacing. I've driven a while on a blown headgasket but the O2 sensor didn't need replacing (it was a Ford, though).

Might be worth checking the plug wires, plugs and having the injectors tested and possibly rebuilt. A spark plug might have fallen on the floor during the project and got cracked. I've put motors back together and have had bad plugs (even new ones out of the box). If your rig has a lot of miles, like I say, definitely consider having the injectors tested. One bad injector will cause that. Other than that, I don't know what the seafoam will do for you. The reasons people claim they do it is to clean the pistons off and if they had your heads off, they should have seen what the pistons looked like and notified you if they were really bad. [Personally I think it's snake oil mechanics anyway, but that's me...]

If ya can't get it figured out, putting it on the computer should help zero in on the problem faster.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Mudding

I went driving to eat dinner at Red Lobster with my wife and her friend, and my brother I haven't seen in 12 years.

The truck heater all of a sudden went cold, motor overheated and shut down, I checked thecoolant resevoirand it's empty. I filled it up with antifreeze, tried turning the motor back on and after a couple rotations it started and sucked the antifreeze down. The temp gauge said it was normal operating range, and if it heated up I pulled over for 20 mins or so, checked the water and tried babying it home.

COULD I BE LEAKING WATER SOMEWHERE ELSE IN THE MOTOR ?

what else would leak water into the pistons? cracked intake manifold ?

block looked perfect when they had the heads off, only thing I didn't have them do was hot tank or pressure check the intake .....

any suggestions ?

i'm extremely angry and about to go wake these mechanics up and it's midnight .......

Old 03-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Mudding

DiscoMike, okdiscoguy, spike555, and sorry for people i missed ...where all you experts at :'(

i'm at a loss

found a motor out of a 96 discovery that work ?

or found a complete 94 ranger rover, I think 4.2.. would that motor work ?

unless you think the problem in my motor is no big deal,

intake crack possibly ? get it hot tanked and find out ...?

Old 03-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't guess what you're driving, since you didn't mention it, but D2s are notorious for radiator problems where the rubber seals dry up with time and crack. Rad hoses could be the problem also.Lots ofpeople will make a little project of taking a few hours and change the oem hose clips by some regular screw colars. Some even go to the extent of completely replacing the hoses all togheter.

But before spending any money, go have a coolant pressure test done to locate the leak. Front cover and throttle body heater plate gaskets can be faulty along with the water pump. As far as the intake manifold gasket goes, they had to do that while doing the HG job.

What you're describing that happened with the overheating.....Is this what led you to have the head gaskets done, or did this happen after the job. Cause if it happened after.....You better hope to god that this overheating didn't cause another gasket failure, or even worse...a slipped liner. Did you check after the job to see if the coolant expansion bottle was full ???

While one expects to receive super qualityservice when going to the dealer because of their premium labour rate, I have experienced situations that could have turned into nightmares each and everytime and went to the dealer for service. The service manager is top notch, it's the labor quality that sucks big time.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Mudding

1995 Disco 135k miles

What happened before was 'no' overheating, just coolant loss into the 2 center cylinders on the driver's side.

I watched them step by step, Stopped by the shop 2-3 times a day (i live 2 blocks from them)

They're work was great. Instead of $4000 + job it only cost me $850 including parts, Had heads completely rebuild and pressure tested and brand new gasket set from DAP, with new bolts - the works.

I DID NOT have them pressure test the INTAKE MANIFOLD - not gasket. I know coolant travels through there also and it could have cracked and leaked into the cylinders.

It has never overheated until last nite. I watched them put the motor back together, and fill it with coolant.

Watched it warm up. he drove it around - Added a little bit more coolant, and repeated the process.

Immediately I drove away, hearing a gurgling sound ...

My wife drove it about 30 miles, I added about half a gallon of water (thinking the system just needed more coolant, cause the heater core was gurgling)

Started it up, started driving to go eat, was going up a hill, IMMEDIATELY COLD AIR OUT OF THE HEATER (ON FULL BLAST) AND ENGINE OVERHEATED, I pulled over, shut it off and let it cool down,

babied it back into town about 4-5 miles , put in coolant and now it's fine, haven't checked level since last nite, haven't drove it, too scared to go look at it ...

Old 03-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Don't know much about the GEMS engine and the D1 cooling system set-up, but it seems like there was air in the cooling system. I would fill it all up again and bleed the system.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Mudding

Why would white smoke be coming out of the exhaust even after I drove it all day and got it to normal operating temperature a many times ?

Do you think because I was going UP an incline it pushed water somewhere else and that's what happened ? and it just happend to have been short a total of 2+ gallons ?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle

White smoke out the tailpipe depends on the weather condition. If its cold and humid out, any car will smoke out the tailpipe look around and pay attention to the cars around you to see if they smoke too. Is it all the time, or especially on cold start-up ??? Get someone to start it while you are out back watching to see if it smokes right away. If it does, itCOULD be that there was coolant in the cylinders. 2 Gallons is quite a lot, but I'd try bleeding the system anyway. As said previously, check the hoses, rad, and most importantly no matter what I say....get a coolant pressure test done a.s.a.p.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Mudding

Yah it's smoking EXACTLY like it did before the head gasket.

I know about himidity and stuff, and definitly can rule that out.

Will definitly get a leak test done today ...

Quick Reply: Post- Head Gasket