Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Buyer of Disco II seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Buyer of Disco II seeking advice

Hi folks,
I'm about to swap my 97 Jaguar XJ6 for a 99 Disco II.
I've done a few searches but thought I'd ask again, what should I watch out for and what are the common problems these cars have?
This one has low miles, 55k and has already had the head gaskets done. Not sure if anything else major has been done but seems to be running well.
I'm fairly capable with tools so not too worried about working on the car. Just don't want to deal with anything like pulling the engine or swapping transmissions! LOL!!!
Would appreciate any advice before I make the swap.
Thanks!
Dean from Hawaii!

Old 02-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Potential Buyer of Disco II seeking advice

The engine and suspension are two things that will refuse to fail, everything that supports these systems is junk. Electronics fail, radiators, fuel pumps, etc, I dunno how the series II are, but not far off the series one for sure.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Overlanding

I thought the Series II was supposed to have been a fairly big improvement over the original models?

Old 02-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Rock Crawling

It is in some ways the series 2 did iron out some probs withthe series1 It's a different truck on a different but still very rugged frame The most things with D2 is the electrics like the sensors lighting up the dash I've learned it's just discovery character so live with it. Head gaskets blowing it all depends on how the truck was maintained if it was treated right then it probably wouldn't have had the prob but if treated like **** one should expect probs. The sls can at times fail however most swap it out for coils and never worrie about it again. If disco is did right she won't give many probs just due required repairs and disco2 will last and by you being handy with tools thats really good because you'll save lots of dough and fix your truck yourself once you know it. and one more thing DISCOS ARE GREAT TRUCKS JUST TREAT THEM WELL AND THEY WILL DO THE SAME.
BARNONE

Old 02-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Overlanding

Barnone,
Thanks for all the info. Sounds like if I just do what I do with my cars it'll be, for the most part, a very reliable car.
I'm curious, what would could contribute to blown head gaskets, or ones that need to be replaced?
Thanks!
Dean

Old 02-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Rock Crawling

to need new gaskets depends o a few things like running the truck with hot without any engine coolant is one way or just not properly taking care of it is another or when the truck is too old and needs new parts but that doens't happen if the truck is kept up well using the right recommeded fluids for the vehicle. oh and thank you I'm glad
I was able to help ya pal.
BARNONE [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Overlanding

Barnone, thanks again!
Interesting about those gaskets.
I don't think this one overheated, maybe just not very well taken care of.
I'll do better if I can get my hands on it.
Just curious but what are you folks using for antifreeze? My other car is a BMW and pretty much swear by the factory phosphate free antifreeze.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Rock Crawling

I use land rovers own anti frezze or prestone which is good and compatible with land rovers

Old 03-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Overlanding

Maybe this might be my first useful suggestion on this forum, DO NOT USE plain Prestone. BAD stuff!!!.
You only want to use phosphate free antifreeze which I believe Land Rover uses and all German carmakers use. Regular Prestone or any other cheap antifreeze will start to eat away at the alloy parts in the engine that are exposed to the antifreeze despite what the manufacturer will tell you about its protection properties.
The only unfortunate thing is that many of the better antifreezes will cost much more than "regular' antifreeze.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: rennwerkes

Maybe this might be my first useful suggestion on this forum, DO NOT USE plain Prestone. BAD stuff!!!.
You only want to use phosphate free antifreeze which I believe Land Rover uses and all German carmakers use. Regular Prestone or any other cheap antifreeze will start to eat away at the alloy parts in the engine that are exposed to the antifreeze despite what the manufacturer will tell you about its protection properties.
The only unfortunate thing is that many of the better antifreezes will cost much more than "regular' antifreeze.
I was low on coolant, and semi overheating, and bought prestone, fixed the problem... I would have spent a little more if i knew its bad.

Quick Reply: Potential Buyer of Disco II seeking advice