Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steeering whine on 2003 disco HELLPP

Old 02-24-2018, 12:52 AM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steeering whine on 2003 disco HELLPP

Hey all! Newbie here. So I recently bought my disco, and it has a constant whine. It’s not super loud but defiantly noticeable. Came to the conclusion it’s the power steering, but I am not sure what a solution may be. Should I change the fluid and clean it? Or new pump? May not matter, but it is a constant whine, meaning it is always there but gets louder when the gas is pushed and wheel is turning. anyone else seem to have this constant whine? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kazarie; 02-24-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

I don't know if this will help you, but it worked for me. I've been running Bars Power Steering Fix (binary) fluid for the last full tank of fuel and just bled out the Bars while refilling with power steering fluid. https://barsleaks.com/product/power-steering-repair/

Anyway, it's about $12 to try. In general "whines" are either dry gears from no power steering fluid pressure, a slipping belt (e.g. locked pulley that your serpentine belt is rubbing over), or bearings. There are probably some exceptions to those cases. It's the internet, so someone will point out the exceptions shortly!

So, I'd suggest turning off your motor and using a bright marker to draw a line on your power steering pulley. Later when your engine is idling you can then easily see if your power steering pulley is turing or is locked up.

If the pulley is fine, then splurge for $12 trying the Bars binary product and also insuring that your power steering reservoir is entirely full, not just half full.

Well, the above might save you from a power steering pump rebuild, but that might be your 3rd step if the above easy stuff doesn't solve your whine, IMO.

*also, I'm a rank amatuer so refer to a pro!

The following users liked this post:
Kazarie (02-25-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 03:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Does the whine noise change while turning the steering wheel from left to right? If not, l'd pull the belt off and check all of the idler (2) and tensioner pulleys, and alternator. If the noise changes while turning wheel, probably pump going out. Changing fluid "could" possibly save it, but you won't know unless you try.

Brian.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:44 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Change to Pentosin green can when you drain the fluid.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:23 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by No Doubt
I don't know if this will help you, but it worked for me. I've been running Bars Power Steering Fix (binary) fluid for the last full tank of fuel and just bled out the Bars while refilling with power steering fluid. https://barsleaks.com/product/power-steering-repair/

Anyway, it's about $12 to try. In general "whines" are either dry gears from no power steering fluid pressure, a slipping belt (e.g. locked pulley that your serpentine belt is rubbing over), or bearings. There are probably some exceptions to those cases. It's the internet, so someone will point out the exceptions shortly!

So, I'd suggest turning off your motor and using a bright marker to draw a line on your power steering pulley. Later when your engine is idling you can then easily see if your power steering pulley is turing or is locked up.

If the pulley is fine, then splurge for $12 trying the Bars binary product and also insuring that your power steering reservoir is entirely full, not just half full.

Well, the above might save you from a power steering pump rebuild, but that might be your 3rd step if the above easy stuff doesn't solve your whine, IMO.

*also, I'm a rank amatuer so refer to a pro!
thank you! I will splurge for that 12$ and see how it goes! I am also an amateur, this is my first rover so any advice is good advice!

Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 PM
6th Gear

I tried this weekend changing the fluid. And the Whine still persists. The nose doesn't seem to change turning the wheel. Though it gets noticeably louder when I begin to push on the gas.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

With motor off, briefly remove your serpentine belt. Then start your motor and let it idle for a moment.

Do you still hear the noise?

Old 02-26-2018, 03:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Must be an echo in here...lol.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
I don't know if this will help you, but it worked for me. I've been running Bars Power Steering Fix (binary) fluid for the last full tank of fuel and just bled out the Bars while refilling with power steering fluid. https://barsleaks.com/product/power-steering-repair
I've always been leery of stop leak fluids. IMHO it just masks the problem which makes more problems later on down the line.

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Must be an echo in here...lol.
lol

Last edited by JUKE179r; 02-26-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a brand new Britpart pump that whines enough to be annoying, but not enough for me to swap it out under warranty. Strangely enough my OEM pump that lasted 120K miles never made a peep until it failed in my driveway. Some pumps just make a bit of noise that is not necessarily related to wear or impending failure. Maybe post a vid so we can hear it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steeering whine on 2003 disco HELLPP