Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering column bolt broke. Need some advice and part number

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 08:44 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Power steering column bolt broke. Need some advice and part number

So I recently performed a overhaul of the power steering system on my 2004 D2. 230,000k. Truck had a minor ps leak and some minor low tone squealing while making sharp turns. Plus 2 rubber hoses that connect to the reservoir were cracking. I saved the ps reservoir and 2 rubber hoses from my old grey D2 because they were replaced back in 2013. So they were relatively new and in great shape. I also saved the ps gearbox from my old truck and had it sent out for a complete teardown and rebuild.

So last weekend I pulled the old ps reservoir, 2 rubber hoses, the pump, the gearbox and even some pullies. Installed a new aftermarket pump, the 2 hoses and of course the rebuilt ps gearbox. Next I replaced some pullies and installed a new serp belt. Once I got everything back together I used Prestone ps fluid. About 3.5 quarts give or take to fill and bleed the system.

The produced I used is as follows:

1: filled reservoir full of fluid
2: started the truck and left running for 15 seconds, then turned off
3: added more fluid to the reservoir then waited 15 minutes
4: started truck and turned steering wheel all the way to lock in both directions at a modest speed.
5: topped off reservoir again
5: took truck for test drive. Steering felt rough when turning clockwise but less resistance when turning counter clockwise and loud whinning noise.
6: turned off truck
7: used a hand pump to suck out all fluid from the reservoir
8: refilled with more fluid
9: repeated last 2 steps 4 times
10: another test drive. Steering felt a little better especially when turning counter clockwise but still lot of resistance when turning clockwise.
11: turned off truck.
12: opened cap on reservoir
13: cracked open the bleed valve on the gearbox and had my girl start the truck and rotate the steering wheel to lock in both directions slowly while I kept the valve open. Topping off the reservoir as needed.
14: repeat last step 5 times until steady stream of fluid flows out from bleed valve.
15: topped off reservoir and closed bleed valve and closed cap.
16: test drive. Still some resistance when turning steering wheel clockwise. Mostly smooth when turning counterclockwise. Minor low tone whining but only noticeable at low speeds.

I contacted the shop who rebuilt the gearbox and explained the situation to him. He was immediately willing to help me with the issue and offered to either give me a full refund or allow me to ship the rebuilt gearbox back to him so he could tear down the unit and perform another rebuild and inspection. He also informed me that the control valve teflon seals included in the rebuild kit for my gearbox were actually too big and thus could not be installed. So they had to use some other kind of seals not typically found in the rebuild kit. He believes that could be the problem.

So with that in mind today I decided to pull the rebuilt gearbox out of my truck and reinstall the original gearbox. In doing so I noticed that the bolt that secures the steering column to the gearbox was missing some of its threads. Unfortunately I was being pressured to get the job done and since I had no spare bolt I proceeded to install the worn bolt back into the shaft. Unfortunately it snapped. Thus I cannot reconnect the ps lines to the gearbox and thus cannot start the truck as I dont want to burn out the pump. I had to have the truck towed down the road and in order to get the truck onto the flat bed I had to rotate the steering wheel counter clockwise. However I did so with the truck turned off and in neutral.

Anyways I need some suggestions on how to get the broken bolt out of the steering column. I've tried using bolt extractor kits in the past to try and remove broken bolts from exhaust manifold but the bits kept breaking. The only shop in the area that would be willing to touch a Land Rover is booked for the next 2 weeks. So I gotta try and get the bolt out and replace it. I think I also need to use a thread chaser to clean up the threads inside the colum before installing a new bolt.

I need the part number for this bolt. I looked on the Rovers north catalog and noticed that there is no link or part number for this bolt in the diagram. In fact the diagram looks slightly different from the layout of my gearbox. The diagram shows 2 nuts that secured the lines to the gearbox. No nuts on my system though.

So my questions:
1: what is the part number for this bolt?
2: I assume its unavailable at local retailers and hardware stores?
3: What is the best way for me to extract that broken bolt without damaging the steering column?
4: what size/type of thread chaser do I need to clean up the threads inside the hole once I get the bolt extracted?