Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Fluid Choices & Quantities

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:04 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Power Steering Fluid Choices & Quantities

Hey Everyone:

Three (3) questions concerning power steering fluid for a 2003 Land Rover Discovery:

1) What type of Power Steering fluid do you use?

2) How much power steering fluid does the power steering pump for this vehicle take?

3) I noticed there are two (2) reservoirs on my pump: ACE and some other recervoir. Can you pour the same fluid in each reservoir? If not, what does one use, and how much?

Thank you. :-)

Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lucas works great, fill it and steer it, cheack it top it off if needed and you are good to go, yes both sides are the same.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Drifting

You'll find that opinions differ on this; some saying go with full synthetic, some saying you can use anything. I followed DiscoMike's recommendation, and use full syn. The LR badged "ACE fluid" which is for use in both reservoirs is quite expensive. i made the mistake of purchasing 3 Quarts of it from the Stealership for a whopping $99. My fluid of choice now is Royal Purple Power Steering Fluid, which I picked up on Amazon for just a few bucks. I use it in both reservoirs. One is ACE, and the other is Power Steering. They each have a MIN and MAX line on the reservoir. Fill till the fluid is between the marks.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 PM
6th Gear

McWilly:

Thank you for the comprehensive reply.

So 3 Quarts should fill both reservoirs?

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Is the system bone dry?
The fluid specs will be in the owners manual.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had an off and on power steering leak, and very noisy pump when it is cold out. According to the paperwork, the pump was new last year. It is one of the hoses and I can't quite figure it out. But, with that, I have tried a few things. Right now, the Valvoline MaxLife (red container) is doing a great job at it. The only thing I can say does not work, is adding in the Lucas Stop Leak stuff. Was FAR too thick and I had to suction it all out.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I have had an off and on power steering leak, and very noisy pump when it is cold out. According to the paperwork, the pump was new last year. It is one of the hoses and I can't quite figure it out. But, with that, I have tried a few things. Right now, the Valvoline MaxLife (red container) is doing a great job at it. The only thing I can say does not work, is adding in the Lucas Stop Leak stuff. Was FAR too thick and I had to suction it all out.
I used the Lucas stuff in my wifes car and it fried the power steering pump.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:57 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Valvoline Max Life PAS fluid, no leaks after that.
The stuff just keeps turning black after a drain refill though, I have done about 3 drain and refills.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Spike555
I used the Lucas stuff in my wifes car and it fried the power steering pump.
I used the LUCAS power steering fluid with conditioners and it was about 9$ for 16oz ( 3 containers for now) from my only real convenient place autozone who had very little choices besides their branded product on PS fluid.. anyway I felt of the stop leak LUCAS makes but DANG it was like jelly so thick! I of course did not use it but the their power steering fluid felt normally thin... anyway, it seems that steering is a very light bit firmer but sliky smooth and no whining but it didn't wine in the first place just working on changing all my fluids for 64k major on my newly acquired 03 w/ 84k ... anyway... So Im not sure what lucas product were supposed to use... maybe there is a conditioner but since I used lucas with conditioner I dont need it? Ill go synthetic once I finish with all the other $500 of fluids... lol

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Choices & Quantities