Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Fluid Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks...I need to download the manual....

Old 09-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a comment as well, the return hose is the thinner of the 2 hoses connected to the power steering fluid tank.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
How spike would do it is remove the belt, take off the return hose from the tank and put it in a waste container, then spin the pulley with a drill and keep the tank full as the old fluid drains, then stop when clean fluid comes out the pump. Honestly though as PAS fluid is so cheap if you buy a gallon and use the turkey baster method 3 or 4 times you will have over 90% new fluid.
Close, I leave the belt on and have my helper (wife) start the engine and while idling I keep the res full until new fluid comes out.
Shut it off, put the hose back and top back off.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I have to straighten this out.

First off, clean the top of the power steering reservoir, and the cap, with a microfiber cloth to remove the dirt that could contaminate the new fluid.
Second, do not use the "turkey baster" method, as you will not be purging the ps system of all of the old fluid and debris (i.e. dirt). 90% new fluid means 10% old fluid, and dirt flowing in 100% of it.
If the ps system is drained and refilled properly, it is 100% new, dirt free, clean fluid. In other words, do what Spike suggests.
Third, the ps fluid from Land Rover is unique to Land Rover, and is not sold anywhere except Land Rover dealers, Atlantic British, Rovers North, and a few other assorted suppliers who happen to have it in stock. I understand some advocate other brands due to price, and perhaps never had a problem.
However, the stuff is not expensive. Rovers North sells it by the quart for $10.95, part #STC50519. You cannot go wrong.
If you have the ACE system, it also uses the same fluid, and you must use the Land Rover part or the system will fail.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor1
Third, the ps fluid from Land Rover is unique to Land Rover, and is not sold anywhere except Land Rover dealers, Atlantic British, Rovers North, and a few other assorted suppliers who happen to have it in stock. I understand some advocate other brands due to price, and perhaps never had a problem.
However, the stuff is not expensive. Rovers North sells it by the quart for $10.95, part #STC50519. You cannot go wrong.
If you have the ACE system, it also uses the same fluid, and you must use the Land Rover part or the system will fail.
You have to stop with this special magical fluid stuff. Land Rover PAS/ACE fluid is made by texaco and was used by GM, it is synthetic hence the price. Yes it is quality stuff and is competitively priced for a synthetic fluid but in the end it is just a hydraulic fluid. There is nothing special about a LR PAS or ACE system (or a corvette's for that matter) that requires a synthetic fluid besides longer drains. If you use regular PAS fluid just refresh it more often. This usually is not a problem due to LR's crappy PAS pumps that fail before the fluid goes bad.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Enough already

Originally Posted by lipadj46
You have to stop with this special magical fluid stuff. Land Rover PAS/ACE fluid is made by texaco and was used by GM, it is synthetic hence the price. Yes it is quality stuff and is competitively priced for a synthetic fluid but in the end it is just a hydraulic fluid. There is nothing special about a LR PAS or ACE system (or a corvette's for that matter) that requires a synthetic fluid besides longer drains. If you use regular PAS fluid just refresh it more often. This usually is not a problem due to LR's crappy PAS pumps that fail before the fluid goes bad.

The definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time. Therefore, I will no longer correct such blatant inaccuracies as I have wasted enough time doing so, to no avail.

Last edited by Thor1; 09-10-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:48 PM
TReK
Question Please clarify, you're making me paranoid

What the eff? Now I need to know the big difference is between the LR (Texaco) brand of PS/ACE fluid and say another synthetic like Royal Purple. I searched and it seems like the LR stuff is labeled for "extreme climates" but what else does it do that other high quality brands won't.....

What's the deal?

Old 09-11-2010, 03:08 PM
TReK

synthetic atf.

its basically the same stuff

Old 09-11-2010, 03:39 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
What the eff? Now I need to know the big difference is between the LR (Texaco) brand of PS/ACE fluid and say another synthetic like Royal Purple. I searched and it seems like the LR stuff is labeled for "extreme climates" but what else does it do that other high quality brands won't.....

What's the deal?
There is nothing to it. A synthetic hydraulic fluid (whether amsoil, RP. or LR) will last longer and provide better extreme cold performance (talking -20F where you see a difference). Otherwise any quality hydraulic fluid (including PAS fluid, ATF, hydraulic/transmission oil) will all do the same thing.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yet another reason to own a DI. (sorry guys, couldn't resist)

DI's just use good old plain old Dexron III.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Recommendations