Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Fluid Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Recommendations

Got my turkey baster ready, but scratching my head a little on what PS fluid to use...no discernible leaks anywhere, but I'm getting some groans here and there when travelling at low <5mph with engine/fluids cold...

Did a few searches and it seems that some swear by OEM LR fluid, while others are gung ho about any old synthetic fluid from the local auto part store...some say too to add PS conditioner and/or stop leak as well for good measure...

Help me out good LR folk.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:06 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It does not matter, buy whatever makes you feel good. I put the purple lubegard PS treatment (at Napa) in also because it makes me feel good. I'm not convinced a stop leak will even work on these pumps unless maybe on the front shaft seal.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:10 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started using Royal Purple PS fluid when I did my first swap and it seems to work just fine. My cold steering creaks and groans were a little quieter and seemed less frequent with the RP, but could have just been the "placebo effect" and switching from dirty to clean fluid.

Synthetic or not, as long as the fluid is clean, you'll be fine.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont like the turkey baster method.
Use whatever you want just forget the treatment though.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Valvoline max life, it has stop leak added and Valvoline generally has good product.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes, just did a price check on RP PS fluid at NAPA...expensive stuff!

Thanks for the responses guys...I'm leaning towards the MaxLife...I've used their oil in the past and it seems like they make good stuff...

@Spike - I'm guessing you mean that you like the by the book drain and fill method instead?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disconoobie
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it was on sale when I bought it, otherwise I would have just used regular stuff

I did the "turkey baster" method, but I would say the drain and fill method would be more effective at getting out more of the old fluid, and most likely more of the dirt that settles at the bottom of the reservoir and lower hoses.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disconoobie

Thanks for the responses guys...I'm leaning towards the MaxLife...I've used their oil in the past and it seems like they make good stuff...

@Spike - I'm guessing you mean that you like the by the book drain and fill method instead?
How spike would do it is remove the belt, take off the return hose from the tank and put it in a waste container, then spin the pulley with a drill and keep the tank full as the old fluid drains, then stop when clean fluid comes out the pump. Honestly though as PAS fluid is so cheap if you buy a gallon and use the turkey baster method 3 or 4 times you will have over 90% new fluid.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by lipadj46
How spike would do it is remove the belt, take off the return hose from the tank and put it in a waste container, then spin the pulley with a drill and keep the tank full as the old fluid drains, then stop when clean fluid comes out the pump. Honestly though as PAS fluid is so cheap if you buy a gallon and use the turkey baster method 3 or 4 times you will have over 90% new fluid.

I tried using this method but nothing came out the pulley for the ps is upper right?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by agthird
I tried using this method but nothing came out the pulley for the ps is upper right?
It's on the drivers side, yes. It would be the pulley to the right of the idler pulley. If you have ACE there would be another pulley above it. Also you will see the high pressure PAS line by the PAS pulley. Read the shop manual for drawings of the aux pulley arrangement.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Recommendations