Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering fluid type/mix ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power steering fluid type/mix ?

I Don't know what type of power steering fluid the person I bought my 2000 disco from put in it. Its at the lower level mark and I just wanted to fill it to the top mark. Is there a way to tell what type of power steering fluid in it? If not what type of power steering fluid can I use to fill it to the upper mark our is mixing a small amount into another type of power steering fluid a bad idea? I don't have the money right now to drain and refill with Valvoline synthetic like I would rather do.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aftermath431
I Don't know what type of power steering fluid the person I bought my 2000 disco from put in it. Its at the lower level mark and I just wanted to fill it to the top mark. Is there a way to tell what type of power steering fluid in it? If not what type of power steering fluid can I use to fill it to the upper mark our is mixing a small amount into another type of power steering fluid a bad idea? I don't have the money right now to drain and refill with Valvoline synthetic like I would rather do.
I topped mine off with THIS. I was also concerned about mixing fluids, but knew this was able to be mixed. I also have not lost ANY fluid since I added this to the mix, and it runs quieter. It's been a little over a year, and I'm still on the Full Level.

Maybe someone else will have a different opinion, but I'm happy with my decision.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I use the Lucas stuff to top off

Old 01-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Overlanding

Lucas can be used but drain and refill it with LR specified fluid as soon as you have the budget. Before I used a regular PAS fluid and my pump failed after 2k miles. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or a bad luck. Now, I don't want to take any more chances.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amsoil works verry well for me in all my vehicles get a account or just go to the site. I've done some bad stuff to vehicles and powersports toys in the past and I can only point to the lube as the reason it did not cost me big money

Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 AM
8th Gear

I have used both the Land Rover branded power steering fluid and the following: Pentosin CHF 11s. It is a synthetic power steering fluid just like the oem and comes in a litre container and can be found at almost any parts place. I have not mixed the two, but if cost is an issue it is just as good if not better than oem. It runs between $18-22 a litre.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the help i'm going to drain it and refill with oem our pentosin since I dont know whats been used in it.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the help i'm going to drain it and refill with oem our pentosin since I dont know whats been used in it.

Its so easy to flush its quick and easy just use the wife as a helper to start and stop the truck . Any quality fluid will do the trick synthetic is better but paying a premium for oem specific fluid is a waste. Just get something that exceeds specs

Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do yourself a favor, don't drain if, flush it and just use standard p/s fluid. It will take about 4 quarts of p/s fluid and this should be done every 25,000 to 30,000 miles.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Mudding

DiscoMike, or anyone else who knows -

Is it okay to use Dex ATF fluid in for power steering fluid in a 2004 Disco and if not why?

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: power steering fluid type/mix ?