Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I stand corrected, the hose actually does have a clamp, which looks fouled up so I will replace that on Sat and maybe stop/slow the leak.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know if this will help but,if you have lots of foam in the resivoir and the leak is the worst after you shut the engine off. The pump is probably leaking between the front and rear housings. There is a print-o-seal gasket in there that fails. You might try to reseal it like I did. Remove the pump,split the pump,clean the old "gasket " off the sealing surfaces, sand the surfaces with 360 sand paper,clean the pump inside and out with brake clean, apply permatex ultra gray "rigid" silicone to the clean dry surfaces,reasemble the pump,use lock tight on the bolts. The silicone must set up completely !!!! There is apx..010" gap between the pump sections that the silicone fills. Dont use a lot of silicone!!! better too little than to much.. Mine is still going strong no noise no leaks. One more thing clean the screen in the resvoir .....

Old 04-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by xengineguy
I dont know if this will help but,if you have lots of foam in the resivoir and the leak is the worst after you shut the engine off. The pump is probably leaking between the front and rear housings. There is a print-o-seal gasket in there that fails. You might try to reseal it like I did. Remove the pump,split the pump,clean the old "gasket " off the sealing surfaces, sand the surfaces with 360 sand paper,clean the pump inside and out with brake clean, apply permatex ultra gray "rigid" silicone to the clean dry surfaces,reasemble the pump,use lock tight on the bolts. The silicone must set up completely !!!! There is apx..010" gap between the pump sections that the silicone fills. Dont use a lot of silicone!!! better too little than to much.. Mine is still going strong no noise no leaks. One more thing clean the screen in the resvoir .....

Ok well the new clamp has not solved my leak, I tried some Lucas but that didn't work either, still have a dinnr plate size puddle in the mornings. So now I am going to try the above quoted fix because it has to be coming from somewhere from around pump. My question is what pitfall or falls do I need to be expecting? Does the the pump have a gasket between block and pump? Or anybody else have any suggestions?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can buy a used pump, www.roverlandparts.com
Is this your daily driver?
You can try the fix like xengineguy suggested or replace the pump, those are your two options that you have left.

Last edited by Spike555; 04-07-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Well I had planned to pull pump this weekend and try xengineguys plan to stop the leak but now the pump is screaming which it hasn’t been whining till this morning. Does this mean pump going out? Any thoughts?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Your pump is shot, don't put any more effort into it. As Spike has mentioned, go to , http://www.roverlandparts.com/powersteeringpumps.aspx
for a good price on a guaranteed used pump and also consider replacing the hoses while you are in there cause they can/will fail.
When refilling us synthetic p/s fluid and a 1/2 bottle of Lucas so you won't have any more problems.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 PM
7th Gear
Default foaming at PS Reservoir

So my power steering system on my 2000 D2 has been leaking. Havent pinpointed where it is coming from but its been pretty bad.
I have let the truck sit for about a week.
Tonight I filled the Reservoir with PS fluid and turned it on. It sounds like the pump is shot as its making a great deal of noise now.

The Reservoir has alot of foam in it, and fluid comes out the top. It comes out more when the steering wheel is turned to the right.

Could I have more damage than just the pump and hoses at this point? Why does it foam and overflow when I turn the wheel?

How tough a job is replacing the pump and hoses? Could I do it myself? I have some mechanical background, mostly on Bicycles and motorcycles.

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Rock Crawling

It's not a bad job at all, I replaced my pump a couple of weeks ago and everything went smooth. I did it without pulling the fan, kind of tricky getting the bracket off the block bolt but still managed to do it. Refilled and bled and hasn't made a sound since.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is nothing else to damage besides the pump, there is no rack and pinion, just the power steering pump and steering box.
The steering box is just gears that only move when you turn the steering wheel.
Replace the pump and all should be good.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Drifting

I have a 96 Discovery. I replaced the steering box with a used one back in October, now i have a huge leak, i think it's from the bottom of the steering box where the arm attaches. I tried two bottles of Lucas with no success. Is there a seal that can be replaced or does the entier box need to go?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leak