Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greenwade - I haven't look real close yet, but can I check those bolts without taking if off?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Why go thru all that work, if in fact the pump case is leaking. Go on line and order a bottle of White Shepherd p/s stop leak and follow the directions. If it is a seal you stand a real good chance of stopping it within 200 miles of constant running or driving time.
Worked for me and a few of my friends.
Really? bo-bo stop leak instead of a clean/proper repair? I shy away from stop leaks and such unless the repair is time consuming or expensive (internal turbo coolant leak on a 2.7 twin turbo in an Audi S4 - requires engine removal).

I like the repair suggested - just my opinion. I plan on doing it on my pump now that I see how easy it is.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Mudding

There is no way to get to those bolts without pulling the pump off. It shouldn;t take more than maybe and hour or so if you have pulled the PAS pump before. Might take a wee bit longer if you haven't pulled it. Read through the rave about it and make sure to pull the fan 1st thing.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Drifting

Alright, ya'll, I added some power steering fluid with stop leak (didn't get white shepard...didn't want to take the time to wait for it). SO, anyways, today, it ended up leaking like crazy and ended up affecting my steering. I got home OK without any issues and looked more closely at the hoses.

I really suspect it is a hose that is leaking now. Part of my reasoning is that the reservoir is draining out on it's own while the truck is turned off. The only place I can tell there is any fluid build up is on the hose from the reservoir to the pump. I would squish that hose and I can tell that the fluid is building up inside that slinky part of the hose.

Is there any other way to confirm that it's NOT my power steering pump? Not from some gasket in the pump? I can't see any fluid dropping from the underside of the pump at all...I even used a mirror to help me look at the underside and I just can't see anything dripping down...I think the only other possibility is that I can't see the other side of that suction hose, so it could be leaking from there. I tried feeling around the back side of that hose and I just can't tell that there is any fluid spilling down. However, that slinky part gets filled up with fluid all the time...I really suspect it's that hose. Does anyone have another opinion on how I can confirm or verify?

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Mudding

I was having the same problem with mine. It looked like the hose was leaking, but it turned out to be the pump. You can try to replace the factory clamps on the hose at the reservoir and where it attaches to the pump with 1 inch hose clamps. The factory crush ones seem to be somewhat worthless and prone to leaks. When mine was leaking bad it had all of the same symptoms. I am willing to be that the hose is fine and that it is leaking from the pump itself like mentioned earlier. just my 2 cents though.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Rock Crawling

i totally agree with mike on Shepherd p/s stop leak because i am running it right now and there is noooooo leaking at all beside you can get a good used pump for 50 dollars so it is your choice

Old 05-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Drifting

Well, I'm just dumbfounded about it all...it's freely leaking from somewhere and I can't tell where! I don't have the stuff to take off the fan...but I was able to look at the backside of the pump finally (after removing the A/C, belt, pulleys, etc). It really appears that the clamp is on pretty tight. It must be leaking in a very small area from the pump...geez. I need to get the cooling fan off now...ran out of time, so I will try tonight. What size of wrenches is needed to remove it? Those are honking big nuts too!!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by david1289
Alright, ya'll, I added some power steering fluid with stop leak (didn't get white shepard...didn't want to take the time to wait for it). SO, anyways, today, it ended up leaking like crazy and ended up affecting my steering. I got home OK without any issues and looked more closely at the hoses.

I really suspect it is a hose that is leaking now. Part of my reasoning is that the reservoir is draining out on it's own while the truck is turned off. The only place I can tell there is any fluid build up is on the hose from the reservoir to the pump. I would squish that hose and I can tell that the fluid is building up inside that slinky part of the hose.

Is there any other way to confirm that it's NOT my power steering pump? Not from some gasket in the pump? I can't see any fluid dropping from the underside of the pump at all...I even used a mirror to help me look at the underside and I just can't see anything dripping down...I think the only other possibility is that I can't see the other side of that suction hose, so it could be leaking from there. I tried feeling around the back side of that hose and I just can't tell that there is any fluid spilling down. However, that slinky part gets filled up with fluid all the time...I really suspect it's that hose. Does anyone have another opinion on how I can confirm or verify?

Thanks.
So, what happened to the idea of power scrubbing the entire engine, top and bottom then pulling the upper fan shroud and fan and belt, along with the air intake hose. With that done, you can see better the 90% of the entire p/s system from both the top and bottom. This is what a good shop would do instead of guessing.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by audiS4S6
Really? bo-bo stop leak instead of a clean/proper repair? I shy away from stop leaks and such unless the repair is time consuming or expensive (internal turbo coolant leak on a 2.7 twin turbo in an Audi S4 - requires engine removal).

I like the repair suggested - just my opinion. I plan on doing it on my pump now that I see how easy it is.
Bo-Bo stop leak, haven't tried that one yet, but what is wrong with using some $20 or less treatment, if it corrects it, especially if this will be a permanent repair instead of hoses and or a pump replacement?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Drifting

Hey Mike, I essentially have done everything and I don't see any leaks except where that suction hose connects to the pump. I pretty much have taken the pump off with the suction hose still attached (need to remove fan to get it all the way off), which allowed me to view the back side of the pump. There are definitely no leaks anywhere else on the pump or the other two hoses or from the gear box. It is definitely leaking at that suction hose connection at the pump. What I can't tell is where exactly because it may be on the pump just underneath the hose connection. The clamp looks really tight, so I don't think it's leaking there. Has anyone experienced where the clamps appear to be tight but not really?

Or is it possible that the gasket in the pump failed at a very small location near the hose?

Another question is that I can't figure out is how the reservoir drained out while the truck is off. That makes me think it might be a hose because the pump looks tight and so does the clamp. I don't see any place where it could be freely leaking. Is it possible for freely leaking fluid to come out of the pump?

Quick Reply: Power Steering leak