Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering leak! need to get the kids home.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering leak! need to get the kids home.

helllo everyone. a couple of weeks ago, I did the power steering flush and everything has been great. Today, however when I started the truck, I heard a sound like grinding when I turned the wheel and it was very stiff. while drivng iit felt ok, but not when at a stop. I checked the fluid level and it was fine when I got here, but now an hour later there is a puddle of p/s fluid under the truck and nothing in the reservoir. could it be the pump? what else can I check? I have to get my kids home.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You are in trouble, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Drifting

pm sent

Old 02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bad day for steering

I had my daughter (19 mo) in the car tonight when my steering went on me.... sounds like you may be in a worse spot than me though... im sorry to hear about it and hope it comes out ok....

Old 02-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Drifting
Default Thanks Mike for getting back to me, here's an update.

OK, so I decided to risk driving back home 35 miles and stopped by an auto parts store to pick up some fluid. To be safe, I got 6 1-pt containers. Filled the P/S fluid, and went on my way, checking every 5-10 miles. I didn't have any (substantial) leaks??? What gives, I thought, but went on my way, checking every chance I got. The fluid did not drain until I got home, but only after turning the ignition off -- I don't get that. Before I shut it off, I let it sit idling in a prking spot for about 15minutes, and only minor dripping. Once off, it was a steady 1-2 drops per second until the reservoir drained. Why would it only leak out that way when turned off? I will have a little bit of time to look at it again tomorrow since it is already dark. Mike, can you offer any insight as to why the leak gets worse when the ignition is turned off? Thanks again.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Drifting
Default Just broke a bolt, now what????

I was putting everything back together this afternoon, and broke the bolt/guide for the P/S pump and bracket. This is the top bolt for the P/S pump, that comes out of the engine ( goes through the bracket and top hole of the pump mounting holes, and is secured with a nut). I was tightening the nut and it popped off along with the end of the bolt I mentioned. I don't see a way to remove it in order to replace it, though. Is there a way to fix this, or am I screwed?
I was feeling so empowered working on the truck, and now this! Maybe I should stick to fixing phones...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It leaks when the engine is off because the seal is bad on the shaft, when it is moving the fluid cant leak out, shut it off and it leaks.
You need a new (used)power steering pump.

www.autosportsunlimited.com
www.roverlandparts.com

Old 02-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Drifting

Thanks Spike. I'm pretty sure the leak is taken care of, but I will check again tomorrow to make sure. If it's still leaking, I will replace the pump, but what about the bolt? Can it be repaired? I didn't try removing it from the block, and it looks like it doesn't come out.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Without seeing it I dont know what you can do.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like there is some of the stud left for the pump to guide / rest on. That is ok. Make sure the other nuts are tight.

Quick Reply: power steering leak! need to get the kids home.