Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering noise when cold.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Yeah, don't waste your time with a video that's a dumb stupid idea.
I made that statement cause videos never show the location of the noise and an accurate sound to guide someone, just a video with some noise. Where if he spends a little time, following suggestions as to what to check will usually give him better results.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I got under the truck today and cleaned everything off so I could determine where the leak is coming from. From the best I can tell, it is leaking from the hose on the bottom of the power steering pump. (It's wrapped in that braided material, so it makes it tough to actually see it.)

Replacing that hose looks pretty straightforward, is there anything I should be mindful of?

Thanks again!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrkstore43
Well, I got under the truck today and cleaned everything off so I could determine where the leak is coming from. From the best I can tell, it is leaking from the hose on the bottom of the power steering pump. (It's wrapped in that braided material, so it makes it tough to actually see it.)

Replacing that hose looks pretty straightforward, is there anything I should be mindful of?

Thanks again!
Wipe it off really well and go back and look at it again with a bright flashlight. I just went through this same drill (https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...failure-46254/) last night in the hope that it was just the hose. Much to my disappointment, it ended up being the gasket in the pump.

If I thought RTV seriously stood a chance, I'd try putting the pump back together, but for as much of a PITA as it was to pull it just wasn't worth the time at 1:00 this morning. I've asked PT Schram to source a new pump for me...

Old 01-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Mudding

Anyone know the part number for the hose that goes into the bottom of the power steering pump off hand? Is it this one:

Power Steering Hose - Reservoir To Pump - Find Belts, Hoses & Other Land Rover Parts at Roverparts.com

Thanks.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jrkstore43
Anyone know the part number for the hose that goes into the bottom of the power steering pump off hand? Is it this one:

Power Steering Hose - Reservoir To Pump - Find Belts, Hoses & Other Land Rover Parts at Roverparts.com

Thanks.
Probably. You can do a little bit of detective work sometimes:

Land Rover Discovery II Steering Parts Available from RoversNorth.com

Rovers North tries to be sneaky and they use their own part numbers for things. Just use the search box and put that number in. If it comes up and matches the "fake" part number they assigned to the one in the diagram, it's probably right.

One thing to note, the roversnorth part is only $2 more, and it's OEM. The part from atlantic british doesn't say that... but it probably doesn't matter. Just a hose.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Mudding

I would go with OEM simply because on my experience with my buddy's BMW. His line was leaking and he went and bought generic line from one of the shops. When he came to my house and we took the stock line off, it was very weird. Half of it was made out of steel and it went zig-zag (hard to describe). We didn't think much of it. Took the other hose, placed the ends on it and put it in. Filled it with oil, drained the air and I thought that is it. MAN the "f-ing" steering wheel was jerking every time you would move it left or right. No leaks at all but you couldn't drive the car because the steering wheel was crazy (almost felt like it was skipping or something). He parked the car at my house, went to dealer and dropped $600 on the new hose, we installed it and it worked like a champ! I still don't quite understand what exactly happened but that was mine lesson on power steering lines. Always use OEM and do not try to make your own .

Old 01-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Land Range Rover Discovery Genuine OEM Factory Power Steering Hose

Looks like they have the LR part, even cheaper.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
Land Range Rover Discovery Genuine OEM Factory Power Steering Hose

Looks like they have the LR part, even cheaper.
+1

I would go for this option.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Hay
Overlanding

I would replace the gasket rather than getting a new pump.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The leak always looks like its coming from the hose but its running down from the gasket in the pump. I just fixed mine by pulling the pump apart and cleaning it really well, I then put a coat of jb weld on each half of the pump body and put it back together. After is back together just finger tighten the bolts down and let the pump sit overnight and in the morning torque the bolts down and re-install the pump. So far mine has not started leaking again.

Quick Reply: Power steering noise when cold.