Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump leak.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018 | 01:48 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Power steering pump leak.

Anyone else living with a slightly dripping PS pump?

Its always groaned when reversing and turning. I've probably only ever topped it with a quart of fluid over 3 years so the actual dripping isn't a problem. Although it always seems to be soaked.

Can these things be overhauled or is it not worth it? I had a Heep pump fail and the replacement was nowhere near as good as the original.

I think id rather live with the issue than fit a bad replacement unless the work to bring it up to spec isn't tricky.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-07-2018 | 04:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Take the pump off.
Remove the back
CLean the back of the pumps gasket surface with some brake cleaner.
Coat the surface with ultra black, think coat.
Place clear plastic gasket over the ultra black.
Coat the backside of the gasket with a thin coat of ultra black.
Clean the back plate of the pump.
Lay backing plate onto the pump and tighten.
If you tighten the Allen head bolts to tight it will hinder the pump. You want a slight drag, but don't tighten the pump too tight it may lock it up and wear the belt.
The rave might have a torque spec, I never researched it.

Old 01-07-2018 | 05:18 PM
Overlanding

I'd replace it, but make sure its one with a lifetime warranty, these trucks seem to be hard on pumps.
In my experience, when they go bad they either: A. whine/groan, B. leak or C. both.

I'm on my 4th. I tried resealing the original pump, but I couldn't get the original to seal fully PLUS, it was little noisy. I then picked up one off ebay (supposedly good original) It also leaked, intermittent whine.
The last one came from Advance Auto, lifetime warranty. Which is good, since I've changed it once a few weeks after I first installed it. It doesn't leak now and is almost silent. I do get a brief small groan sometimes when its cold, but it is pretty rare and I can live with it. Its been on about a year and a half: so far, so good.

I know others have had luck sealing them, but I'd rather feed rabid monkeys by hand before I remove that pump yet again. (not hard, but a mess)

Old 01-07-2018 | 05:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Mine was rebuilt by ihscouts four years ago and it's still holding strong. Word to the wise.... mine leaked for some time and I had let it go for too long (I drove the Rover once the pump completely drained and failed for probably a year - don't recommend it but can laugh now that I think back on it). Once it empties it can be rebuilt with new seals BUT the noise will not go away. He recommended changing it out with a new pump and in some ways I wish I had but was skint at the time. Bertha groans in the morning when it is cold and she typically makes people turn and look in parking lots but that's ok. She knows how to make an entrance So yeah, they can be rebuilt after a failure and (knock on wood), will last, but some noise is to be expected.

It leaked a long time prior to failing completely. Yeah, I know.. I should have taken care of it long before it failed.

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 01-07-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2018 | 07:02 PM
Pro Wrench

I think id rather live with the issue
If not broke don't fix it? The groaning you experience may or may not be related to the pump leak. As you describe the leak has been a small concern to you so far but could eventually get worse or in bad case scenario lead to a blown seal.

Is it a drip you can see or just a seep that that wets the area?

While working on heavy jet airliners in normal service we will consult the MM to see if a hydraulic leak is within allowable leakage limits. A pump or actuator might allow a certain number of drops per minute depending upon the component or type of seal leaking. A seep would not normal be addressed unless it appeared to be coming from a cracked component.

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Take the pump off.
Remove the back
What happened to trying an additive or your brake fluid tip as a seal conditioner first?

Last edited by number9; 01-07-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2018 | 07:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by number9
If not broke don't fix it? The groaning you experience may or may not be related to the pump leak. As you describe the leak has been a small concern to you so far but could eventually get worse or in bad case scenario lead to a blown seal.

Is it a drip you can see or just a seep that that wets the area?

While working on heavy jet airliners in normal service we will consult the MM to see if a hydraulic leak is within allowable leakage limits. A pump or actuator might allow a certain number of drops per minute depending upon the component or type of seal leaking. A seep would not normal be addressed unless it appeared to be coming from a cracked component.

What happened to trying an additive or your brake fluid tip as a seal conditioner first?
Because additives usually swell the gasket material whatever it may be made out of, IE cork, plastic, rubber, paper, an old trick from years ago was to add some brake fluid to swell the seals, its not a permanent fix and I don't recommend it. Nor do I recommend additives that swell.

Additives can also have small bits of materials in them like "Radiator stop leak" which gets into areas you might NOT want them to get into..ripping apart water pumps, heater cores, radiators and looking inside blocks...I've seen my share of goop.

My brake fluid comment wasn't a tip, it was a mention of an old trick.
The seal on the ps pump is clear plastic. It leaks due to the widening of the space between the front, back, and the bolts, plastic. If you take it apart and redo it with some QUALITY sealant like ultra black or "the right stuff" you will get many more years out of your ps pump.

Last edited by shanechevelle; 01-07-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2018 | 09:02 PM
Pro Wrench

The seal on the ps pump is clear plastic.
Haven't had one apart yet myself. Is the clear plastic seal a/the rotating shaft seal? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2018 | 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by number9
Haven't had one apart yet myself. Is the clear plastic seal a/the rotating shaft seal? Thanks.
The seal at the back just seals the back to the pump. If you tighten the allen head bolts too tight, you cause drag on the pump. I will say, I don't hear my pump groan much, yesterday when it was cold, it didn't groan, but it did sound like it was low in fluid. Cant be, I checked it. Once it warmed up it was quiet.