Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump Rebuild - New O-Ring Plate Binds Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Rebuild - New O-Ring Plate Binds Pump

I'm rebuilding my power steering pump. (Let's not debate the merits of that decision.) Drippy gasket, no other problems or symptoms to indicate the pump would be bad. Might even have just been a very leaky low-pressure hose, but it was hard to tell, and with the pump out it seemed like the thing to do.

I find that the new 3-hole plate with embedded o-rings adds extra thickness that binds up the pump after reassembly. I took it apart and reassembled with the old plate to test and everything spins freely.

To anyone who has rebuilt a pump and encountered this problem, or more ideally, to people who rebuild these regularly, I ask: Is there a break-in period after which the o-rings compress/relax and the pump will spin freely again?

I'm not going to run it being this tight—it doesn't spin freely at all—unless someone tells me this is safe to do as part of the break-in process—I can't imagine that's the case. I've got a few days before reassembly (rear A/C bolts sheared off in the mounting bracket, so I'm waiting on repair/replacement of that). Will things settle in by then, or should I just use the old plate?

Old 02-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I rebuilt my pump last spring, I installed a new rear main seal as well as the 3-hole plate you speak of. I didn't bother with the front main seal as mine was not leaking and are rarely a problem. You are absolutely correct, I had the same experience and gut wrenching feeling that something was wrong when I put it back together and felt very hard/binding to turn. This being said I installed it anyways. Three weeks later I replaced the main drive belt for an unrelated issue. While it was off I span the pump by hand with ease.

All this to say... based on my experience I do suspect there is some sort of break in period.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
joshjellel (02-16-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by me6067
I rebuilt my pump last spring, I installed a new rear main seal as well as the 3-hole plate you speak of. I didn't bother with the front main seal as mine was not leaking and are rarely a problem. You are absolutely correct, I had the same experience and gut wrenching feeling that something was wrong when I put it back together and felt very hard/binding to turn. This being said I installed it anyways. Three weeks later I replaced the main drive belt for an unrelated issue. While it was off I span the pump by hand with ease.

All this to say... based on my experience I do suspect there is some sort of break in period.

Good luck.
Based upon what me6067 has said may I suggest you clamp the pump in a bench vice and spin it over with an electric drill or air wrench making sure there is enough lube on the seals. Hopefully it will bed in some before you refit it.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Based upon what me6067 has said may I suggest you clamp the pump in a bench vice and spin it over with an electric drill or air wrench making sure there is enough lube on the seals. Hopefully it will bed in some before you refit it.
Not a bad idea but would be concerned about not having enough lubrication even with best attempts to keep seals lubed. Either way, good on you for trying to rebuild your own pump.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

me6067, since your pump still seems to be working with no complaints almost a year later, may I ask what you torqued the bolts on the back plate to? This seems to be a fuzzy figure in the places I've searched with most people recommending 8-12 ft. lbs.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by joshjellel
me6067, since your pump still seems to be working with no complaints almost a year later, may I ask what you torqued the bolts on the back plate to? This seems to be a fuzzy figure in the places I've searched with most people recommending 8-12 ft. lbs.
Honestly I would be lying if I told you cause I don't remember. What I can tell you is that if you do over tighten them the gasket will start to deform and potentially pop out and not seal correctly.