Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We laugh to keep from crying

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:10 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We laugh to keep from crying

First I want to say hello to everyone on the forum. My name is Aidan and I just became a first time LR owner with my dad in the past few weeks. I'm sorry that my first post has to be a negative story and I'm hoping that after we fix the problems I'll have some good stuff to talk about on here.

So my dad and I bought a 2003 Discovery SE7 about two weeks ago now. While we were waiting for the shipping company to bring it down to us, we were reading reviews online and seeing how many problems people have reported with them and we would joke about how we had probably just the biggest mistake buying one, but more than anything we were really excited and anxious to get it here. We finally got it shipped down late Saturday night (03/01), and it went downhill from the time the guy lowered the car down to street level. The battery wouldn't start and we just kind of laughed about it saying "and now it starts" thinking it really wasn't a big deal. We got it started and tried to figure out how to do everything like turn on the lights, the radio, the sunroofs, etc. We cleaned it up on Sunday and drove it around the neighborhood a few times in the afternoon and everything was copesetic. Then today, Monday, we went down and got the license plate for it, i brought it home and put it on and took off to get the state inspection done. I wish I could go back in time and not gone to get that inspection done.

First, the inspection failed because they said we needed new wiper blades. So I went out to buy new wipers only to find out that none that I found would fit the arm. No big deal, I ordered some online, done and done.

Then I went to drive it to a friends out and noticed the "Service Engine Soon" light was on and staying on. So i pulled out the manual and read about the light. Checked the gas lid because it said it could make the light come on, but it was on correctly and didn't solve the problem. So I told my dad, who was pretty pissed about problems happening so soon but called and made an appt with a car place that sells Land Rovers to check it out later this week.

Then I went to work and talked to a guy I work with who works on cars as a hobby and he suggested looking under the hood to make sure that when they were inspecting it they didn't leave something unplugged or not closed completely. So when I got home from work my dad and I went out and looked under the hood to see if anything looked odd. ALSO A MISTAKE. My dad put his hand on hinge to see if it was closed completely and the radiator bleed pipe cracked in half and coolant went EVERYWHERE. So now we have a busted bleed pipe and can't move the truck to get it checked out. We ordered a new pipe as soon as we cleaned up the mess and we're just hoping that nothing else is seriously wrong.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or has had anything similar happen to their Discovery. I really hope this turns out to be as good of a vehicle as we thought it would be.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: We laugh to keep from crying

Aidan,

Welcome to the disco. It sounds like you are pretty green to the Land Rover badge and what it means, as well as new to cars in general, so I'll try to keep that inthe back of myhead while writing this(just keep in mind you might catch hell from others on the site .

So, it looks like you have noticed a few things wrong with your ride, now I'm not an expert on Rovs but you are in luck, cuz a ton of the guys on this site are and give priceless advice that will save you thousands in repair and upkeep. From what I can tell it is just part of the buying blind process, it sucks and all but just try to take it in stride, check all records and for the love of god, do not take it to the dealer! I made the mistake early on and have 3K on my visa to show for it. Find a local shop, and some local disco owners, have a drink and talk about your rides and what they think. This is not a Honda, it wont run on sawdust, so just keep on top of the issues you are having, it will pay dividends in the future.

As for my story, well my discoII has suffered from a myriad of unwarranted issues from the fuse block to cracked manifolds to my current fight with the 3 amigos, and all before 60K! Would I, or most other disco drivers toss these cars away? Heck no! They are the bomb.com, seriously they are dang nice rigs and go just about anywhere and in style, on premium of course.

So keep your head up and do your homework. The past posts are an excellent place to start. Look around the internet. These cars make you interact w/ them on a level I have never experienced before, but it pays off when you hit the trails or tow the boat out to the lake, it all good then... you will see.

later,
monty......discoverMT

The following users liked this post:
Jack Graham (01-06-2018)
Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like your rig may have been sitting for a while. So far, what you're describing is pretty much normal dry rotting and wear that any used vehicle will have, especially if sitting unused for some time. Do yourself a favor, start changing out all the fluids (see mike's 60k service list) and checking all the gaskets and hoses for leaks. These are great trucks, but you do need to stay on top of things...don't sweat the small stuff. If you're fretting over afew wiper blades and busted coolant hose, you may be in for a bumpy ride.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I tell this to everyone who is having early problems. You have to rehab almost every used disco in the first few months of ownership. Sadly the previous owners neglect the service since it is a bit moreexpensive than most cars. They do this because they know they might sell soon. So you are left with a sick rover that needs help. Its very rare that thats not the case, and yours is sounds like a perfect example of this. And it probally sat for a while as well if that bleed pipe broke so easily and the wipers where bad. The other thing I tell them is expect to spend up to $1000 dollars on fix up stuff, that just another part of it. Once you get it rehabbed you will love the truck. Mine has been very reliable and I love it to no end! Land Rover is a lifestyle and you will find that out once you get your truck fixed up, its like no other truck, you'll see! I promise!
GOOD LUCK
We will help you with anything you need, just let us know.

Cameron.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You don't need similiar stories, you need some guidance. Call me and let me walk you thru what to do, how and where.
303-862-7680
Colorado before 8 pm any day.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As stated before, stuff happens. Take a deep breath and give Mike a call. Don't take it to a shop. You can do most of this yourself for little or no money. Get the bleed hose fixed and get the codes read at your local autoparts store for free. Mike will walk you through properly bleeding the coolant. If it isn't done right, you could be looking at problems.

Just shout if you need more help...

Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Drifting

All of these guys are right. Used Rovers need a little... scratch that...A LOT of TLC. You gotta' whip it into shape. Definately listen to "Disco Mike"!. I just got my 1996 Disco SE7 about 1.5 months ago. On the way home from purchasing it, the left front tire went flat, the Oil Pressure light came on, and it started making a horrible knocking noise. I had to leave it in a parking lot over night. The next day I was getting it home when I got pulled over and got a ticket for having an expired license.(Could've been worse, I was driving without a tag!). All in all I've already spent close to $1000 on parts and owe a mechanic buddy thousands in labor, lol. Good thing he's ok with me paying for all of his meals instead. There is still more I will have to do to it. Anyways, I totally know what you are feeling. But, the guys are right. Once you have one of these, you never want to get rid of it. I mean, in what other vehicle will you get such GREAT fuel mileage?! lol.
dONNIe

Old 01-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm right there with ya man. As a newish Land Rover driver I have discovered a few problems with my '96 Discovery SD, but as these other guys said, take it all in stride. This is what Land Rovers are all about, fixing them up and then having a rad ride to off-road or on-road with. Land Rovers (especially old ones) are very characterful cars, hence there is so many people that love them. Sometimes you might be under the car, thinking "what have I done?" but then you hop in and take it for a drive, and you know exactly what you have done. You have bought an awesome truck that is worth every repair you make, and every cent you spend. I have been a member of this forum for a few months now, and I love it. The culture and people found here can be found nowhere else. Land Rovers are the kind of cars that you can tell, want to keep running. Well, let me rephrase that, Land Rovers want to keep running, but often have trouble doing so. After a while you will learn all the little tricks and things about your car, and you will even start to think of it as a "person". And that's what makes a car special, when we think of it as a person.

Anyway, don't worry man. These awesome people and many more are here to help. I promise it will all be worth it. Head down power through man.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Thread revival award goes to...

Old 01-06-2018, 10:28 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Just shy of 10 years...

Quick Reply: We laugh to keep from crying