Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering still don't work!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:00 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering still don't work!!!!!

OK I have a 2001 disco 2 runs great power steering pump killed over. So i put a new one in and found a broken line at the steering box. any way I replaced the steering box and return line that runs under the radiator and the PS pump.
Total ps fluid loss job done now makes noise at start up and ps works good but as soon as it gets to normal operating temp no PS i have bleed about 4 quarts out any suggestions.. please help thanks

#DOITYOURSELFER

Old 01-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When you hold the steering wheel all the way to one side does it make a loud grinding type noise?

When you bleed the PS fluid are you doing the following?:

(All this is done with the truck running, BTW)

1) Have someone turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and hold it.

2) while they are holding it all the way to one side, loosen the bleed screw for a second or two and then close it.

3) Refill the PS fluid reservoir back to the fill line.

4) Have them turn the wheel all the way to the other side and hold it.

5) while they are holding the wheel tight all the way to the other side, open the bleed screw for another second or two then close it.

6) Refill PS fluid back to fill line.

7) Repeat this process a few times or until when you hold the steering wheel all the way to one side it doesn't make any noise.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the info Jared will try again and no not one grinding noise just sounds like it needs ps fluid. Thanks I will let you know how it goes...

Old 01-18-2014, 12:29 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by #1BRONCOFAN
Thanks for the info Jared will try again and no not one grinding noise just sounds like it needs ps fluid. Thanks I will let you know how it goes...
You may have air in the system still, the easiest thing I found to do was to open the nipple on top of the steering box without the vehicle on, attach a long rubber hose (couple of dollars at auto parts place) Make sure it fits snug over the nipple. I have found that the same hose for the washer fluid works perfect. Have a long enough piece so that you can drape the hose over the side and into an empty jug. Someone will have to continually pour in power steering fluid because it is going to come out of that hose you have attached to the nipple very rapidly, especially when turning the wheel to the far left and far right.

I suggest using cheap power steering fluid to flush the system until it is clear, then replace with the expensive stuff. Once everything is done, shut vehicle off, pull hose, and tighten nipple and you should be all set.