Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering System Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 05:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Unless you frequently drive in Canada or Alaska in the winter, I would have bypassed the throttle body heater. Now that it is done I would not bother with it but if it starts leaking again just get a piece of ATF hose and run from the intake manifold fitting directly to the bottle.

Hoses should easily last 75-100k miles or 7-10 years. The kit would not include PS hoses, they don't normally need replacing.

I would use storebrand Type F ATF, it is fine in our PS systems.

Any standard green coolant is fine, expensive stuff is a waste of $.

The adjustment nut/screw is easy to get to while you are replacing the pump.

Send me your email via PM, I will send you instructions for the inline thermostat mod.

The following users liked this post:
neuropathy (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks, do you happen to know the sizes of that bolt and the hex screw in it? I've probably got something that'll work, either way, just like to be sure.

I'm trying to determine the best workflow for this job. With the system currently leaking and filled with random power steering fluid (not sure what was in there and I refilled it when it was leaking with O’Reilly store brand PS fluid and another type before that). I really want to try to do the clean and flush. I planned to do that, then replace the pump and refill it, I'm just not positive that the pump is exactly where the leak is, so hopefully that's what it is and I won't waste a ton of pricey fluid if it's not.

Should I get that small o-ring just in case and replace it while I'm in there? https://www.roverparts.com/steering/...ls/QYX100260G/

I'll try my best to clean things up and see if that's where the leak is - from what I could tell so far, it looked like the pump case itself, as mentioned by others.

Thanks again - I've been overwhelmed with things lately and hope to get to this during the holidays when I have some time (to work so more hah)