Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Replacement Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 03:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Steering Replacement Problem

So, after much review of online videos I decided to save myself roughly $1100 and replace my leaking power steering pump this morning. It was a fairly straight forward job and everything went well and according to the videos I watched (Atlantic British and two guys on YouTube!)- mine is one without the ACE Pump so really pretty easy. I did do something wrong though, I THINK. When loosening the tensioner- I was having trouble so I thought I had to loosen the 15mm nut that actually holds the tensioner in place. After loosening it considerably, I then just used a big pry bar and was able to release the tension the way I should have in the first place- without actually loosening the arm the way I did.

I got everything replaced- new power steering pump installed and everything back together- topped off the reservoir- and started the truck. Turned wheels side to side full lock a couple of times- shut off the engine and topped of the rest of the fluid. Problem is- it's "working" but with more wheel effort then before (before it started leaking that is) and it seems to almost "lock" breifly when switching from turns one direction- then the other.

It's almost like I'm not producing enough hydraulic power to properly "pump" the fluid pressure. The bottle is topped off now (but the fluid really spins around in there- is that normal?). Did I screw this up my first loosening the tensioner and maybe I'm not creating enough tension on the belt to get the power I need for the pump? Again- it works, but with some effort and the extremes of turns also still make a "power steering pump" noise. Not in the middle areas, but at the extremes. It also seems to work a bit better when the engine is revving then at idle, again, makes me think I need to adjust the serpintine belts tension a bit tighter? Any suggestions on where to start?

Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM
Overlanding

Bump- do I need to "bleed" the power steering after I replace it? No one did in the videos I watched, but I saw the guy that has a sticky regarding "bleeding" his system, may be worth a try?

Suggestions?

Old 06-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

On the steering box of a 96' it has a blead screew, I'm not sure if the DII has one. If it does then i would attach a hose to it, crack it open and turn lock to lock until all the air is out. Close it and you should be all good.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

The d2 has a bleed nipple like the bleed nipples for your brakes on the power steering gearbox. If you check up top, there is a sticky on changing the power steering fluid and bleeding it

Old 06-25-2017, 09:59 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the responses- I'll try it today!