Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering whining

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010 | 04:10 PM
|
Drifting
Default Power Steering whining

I have been reading all the power steering threads on here. Recently I took off the plastic guard from under the truck and have started to tackle my leaks. I power scrubbed the engine and underside and traced a leak to the power steering pump. I was running from between the back plate and the pump.

I took it off and resealed it, waited and put it back on. I'm wondering about bleeding the air out. I have tried a couple times. I read from the rave manual on how to do it.

Questions:

How fast should someone be turning the wheel each way?

Does it matter if the tires are in the air? (better for tires, but does it need the weight of the truck to bleed the system?) I didn't think it would matter, but wanted to ask.

Should it just run out slower turning in one direction than the other? (turning the wheel to the drivers side sprays more fluid and higher)

How much ps fluid on average to bleed the system?

The first time I tried to bleed the system it wasn't up to temp and I had a foamy mess in the ps tank. I needed to wait for it to settle.

Should the same amount of fluid come out when the wheel is turned it both directions? Is that how I would know that the system is bled?

Im using Vavoline Max Life with stop leak and a half a bottle of the Lucas additive and I plan to switch to a full synthetic when I confirm I am good with this pump or if I have to replace it.

Any thoughts?

Next up coolant leak!

72,000 miles now

Scott

Old 11-19-2010 | 09:58 AM
Administrator

Down load a Rave CD and it will have all the directions needed.

Old 11-28-2010 | 06:17 AM
|
Drifting

I looked at the RAVE manual several and scoured the specific instructions as it referred to bleeding the power steering pump. I really didn't think it sounded all that tough. I read every post about fluids and bleeding and changing and sealing.

As it turned out the first time I took the pump off and sealed it I didn't get it done well enough. Not enough black rtv(gasket maker) or only about 12 hours wait time. It leaked worse and I suspect it was sucking in air at the leak because there was not amount of bleeding I could do to fix it.

This time I took it off, took it all apart, cleaned it thoroughly, and re-sealed it. I brought it in to my basement and let it sit 24 hours. Like everyone advised. I put the pump back on, refilled it, and tried it. Very little whine. 1 hour later there was no whine. Cold start this morning and volia, no whine. Now I just need to power scrub it all again. One leak down!

Thanks for everyone help on this board,

Scott