Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window motor only operates in one direction

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Power window motor only operates in one direction

My 2002 Disco right rear window would not go down. I pulled the door apart and pulled out the motor and regulator assembly and hit the switch and nothing happened in either direction...........took the switch off the other rear door and tried it.............no change, pulled the motor off the regulator,...and took it apart to check the brushes etc and re-assembled. With the motor NOT attached to the regulator it turns in one direction. I tried the switch from the other door...........same thing..motor only turns in one direction.

At this point I decided to post here before going further, but while posting,...........I realized that I had another motor sitting on the bench from my right front door which was apart for other window issues...........grabbed that motor and plugged it in and curiously,..........it only turns one way also..............Anyone experienced this problem............Im guessing that the problem is somewhere in my wiring????

Any ideas??

Brian in Austin. [/align]

Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Power window motor only operates in one direction

try swapping front switches, the ones for the rear windows, power goes through them to get to the rear switches

Old 10-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Winching

ORIGINAL: roverguy7

try swapping front switches, the ones for the rear windows, power goes through them to get to the rear switches
Just to clarify, are you suggesting that I swap the front and rear switches on the passenger side,.......or are you suggesting that I swap the front switches right to left?

Brian

Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swap the right front switch with the left front switch, then check operation of your faulty window. If it works properly, then you will need a new right front switch. Double check this to see if the problem switched doors. (By "front switches for the rear windows" we mean the rear window switches that are located on the center console) Power goes through these switches first, then through the rear door window switches, then to the window regulator motors.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: tacomatech

Swap the right front switch with the left front switch, then check operation of your faulty window. If it works properly, then you will need a new right front switch. Double check this to see if the problem switched doors. (By "front switches for the rear windows" we mean the rear window switches that are located on the center console) Power goes through these switches first, then through the rear door window switches, then to the window regulator motors.
I did the swap and lo and behold, might right rear window started working in both directions. Curiously,....when I switched them back to their original positions............everything still worked in both directions.........shades of old Lucas wiring!!

Thanks for the tip.

Brian