Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price opinion 2004 Westminster!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price opinion 2004 Westminster!

Hi. I am a new member and have been researching Discovery's for a while. I am going to look at a 2004 Westminster with 98,000 miles on it. Here is the owners description:
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE-Westminster Edition (final production year) with dual sunroofs, heated seats and factory tow package. Excellent body, original paint & outstanding mechanical condition,.Engine was upgraded with new head gaskets, new serpentine belt, and brand new lifters. Front O2 sensors recently replaced, and all hydraulic fluids including transfer case, trans and both differentials flushed and replaced with synthetics (except trans, which uses Dextron III) Has all the standard Land Rover power options including power seats & mirrors, dual-zone climate controls, factory fog lights, factory CD player, Traction Control, Hill Descent Control, two-speed transfer case, 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS, skid plates; fresh fluids all around, ready for summertime cruising or off-roading fun. Gunmetal grey exterior, black leather interior, very clean, non-smoker vehicle. Upgraded with mechanical oil pressure gauge & matching voltmeter to monitor engine functions. I'm a hands-on owner, not a poseur..

What is a fair price for this? He also states that the front driveshaft is in good condition.
Thanks-Brian

Old 09-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

This vehicle will have engine issues as those brand new lifters chew up the existing camshaft. Can be done, if people treat it like a new install breakin. Worse is new cam with old lifters.

Syn diff and transfer oils are nice, but they still need to be changed periodically. So you throw away the higher cost material.

Radiator should have been flushed every 24 months - 30000. May still have Dexcool coolant.

Soon to be water pump problems based on miles.

Oil gauge is a plus, should start off cold in the 50 range, as it warms up drop to above 10 at idle, and 50 at 2500 rpm.

All that glitters is not gold. OEM temp gauge will point at 50% from 130 - 240F. Allowing elevated temps for long periods will cook those new head gaskets as well. Once warmed up, should be no engine "tick" at idle. A plug in scanner will show you what coolant temp really is.

Best advice I can offer is pay for a pro inspection.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-05-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Three Wheeling

I second the professional inspection.. I just bought an 02 Disco with 123k miles for $4500. Everything cosmetic is great, but after driving for a while I realized there was a whine in the T-Case (which is, apparently, par for the course with most Disco T-cases) and all the brakes needed replacing. There's a head cover leak that I'm not too worried about, but once I wash the engine down I may find some surprises if I'm unlucky (and my coolant level was low, making me think I'm losing coolant somewhere).

Long story short, you go in hoping to be super thorough, but the reality is when you behold your potential shiny new Disco, your eyes glaze over and you miss details you told yourself you'd never miss.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:55 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks guys. I just looked at the Disco. Very clean, no dexcool, new water pump. The guy is retired and used to work at a British repair shop and has various British car projects going. He also replaced the can when the gaskets, lifters were done. Engine was very quiet hot and cold. He is asking $7900, I'm thinking $6500 based on others I've seen. Does the Westminster add any value? Thanks

Old 09-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Isolatos
Thanks guys. I just looked at the Disco. Very clean, no dexcool, new water pump. The guy is retired and used to work at a British repair shop and has various British car projects going. He also replaced the can when the gaskets, lifters were done. Engine was very quiet hot and cold. He is asking $7900, I'm thinking $6500 based on others I've seen. Does the Westminster add any value? Thanks
Good price at $7,900 even. He sounds like an informed owner, which is a great thing on these.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:28 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

If the head gaskets were never replaced, then it will need that done.
Like Death.
It will come.
If you like it or not.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heads were done already according to first post. I'd shoot for around 7k