Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OWNER! 2004 Discovery Westminster Edition WIN!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OWNER! 2004 Discovery Westminster Edition WIN!

Hello friends!

After 3 months searching for a 2004 Discovery, I came upon the Westminster Edition with 69k for 11,499. Loving the truck so far. I will post up pictures within a few hours. Check back!!!

I do have couple questions:

1.) The car came with just one key and for some reason it does not open the door but turns the engine. I need to press the button to unlock the doors. Is this normal for the key blade not to unlock the door? Is it a valet key perhaps? I also had a key master made extra spare keys since the key fob has no chip. And also cannot unlock the door with the key blade.

2.) The car seems to be wobbly and swaying when coming into normal road bumps and such. Its like a boat riding waves. I am curious, can this be worn bushings? Need new tires? Tries seems to have about 20k life. Maybe tire balancing? Its getting a little car sick and feels unstable at times.

3.) I looked under the truck for any possible grease zerks on the front drive shaft and I do not see three zerks on the end-- which means it hasn't been done.

I will invest in a Tom Woods drive shaft but they asked for a length dimension. Isn't all drive shaft the same length on the DII? He said its either 24" or 25". So which one do I go with or how do I measure?

4.) Speculation: I assume the transfer case is in front of the front drive shaft and the transmission by the bottom side? I do see some liquid hanging around but no leaks yet. God forbid. Is this normal?

I really appreciate all the help!

Stay tune for pictures!!!

Last edited by Torancis_LR; 06-05-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1- yes, that is the valet key

2- pop off the little emblem and spray some lube in it.

3 - You can have a drive line shop re-built it for under $200 if you don't want the Tom Woods. Someone with one and a D2 will tell you the length later. I don't know.

4- the transfer case is where the 2 driveshafts connect. More towards the middle of the truck. The thing in front of the front DS is your front diff. Pull the plug and check the fluid. I would suggest doing this to both front and rear and changing with new synthetic. Check the 60K service post. Always a good idea if you are just purchasing one...

Welcome to the group. You are totally screwed now!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
1- yes, that is the valet key
So if I purchase a key fob off ebay and have it cut, will it unlock the door?
2- pop off the little emblem and spray some lube in it.
Which lube do you suggest? Wheel lube? Auto lube?

You are totally screwed now!
Thats encouraging. No, I knew this truck would need some attention. Unfortunately.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grats on the purchase I'm curious to see what's different in the Westminster Edition opposed to a regular disco.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Here are the pictures

Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The only way to get a key to open the doors is to have one cut by the dealer using your VIN#.
If you have your valet key copied you will have a copied valet key.

As for the "wobbling" have a suspension shop check it out, also check your tire pressure, 40psi on all fours is a good number.

I think OKDGuy mis understood you, you pop the LR emblem off the cargo door and spray silicone spray on the door latch and work it to keep it from freezing up, and if it does freeze up do this trick.
Once every 6 months is good, once a month if you live in the snow belt and they use salt, then go back to every 6 in the summer again.

The DII came with 2 engines, 1999.5-2002 had the 4.0, the 2003 & 2004 have the 4.6, the 4.6 has a longer transmission as the trans has a bigger oil pump, so I would guess that the shorter Tom Woods drive shaft would be the one for a DII with the 4.6.
You have the 4.6.
*The 4.0 and 4.6 are the same engine block and heads, different guts.

These trucks are full time four wheel drive.
The engine turns the transmission turns the transfer case turns the front and rear driveshafts turns the differentials turns the axle shafts turns the wheels.
So the trans bolts to the engine, the t-case bolts to the trans, then the driveshafts come out of both ends of the t-case then go into the front and rear diffs.

And I think you already know that you must use premium gas.

Congrats on your purchase.

P.S.-the only way you can join this forum is if your truck leaks.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
The only way to get a key to open the doors is to have one cut by the dealer using your VIN#.
If you have your valet key copied you will have a copied valet key.
Hello Spike, so if I purchase an uncut key off ebay and have the dealer program it, that should work?

so I would guess that the shorter Tom Woods drive shaft would be the one for a DII with the 4.6.
That should be the 24" front shaft it is.

And I think you already know that you must use premium gas.
Yes of course.

Congrats on your purchase.
Thanks Spike

P.S.-the only way you can join this forum is if your truck leaks.
God forbid please.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is the problem with buying a key off of e-bay, the key and the remote are seperate, the remote goes over the key, it cam come off if you want it too.

If you had the "master" key (the one that worked the door and the ignition) then you could buy a blank off of e-bay and have anybody copy it for you.
But all you have is the valet key, if you buy a key blank off of e-bay and copy it you will just have another valet key, which is not what you want.

If you buy the remote off of e-bay the dealer will have to program it for you, ~$125, if you buy the remote at the dealer they will program it for you for free.
The last I heard a brand new remote from the dealer is about $200, how much is one on e-bay? Plus the programming at the dealer? Plus shipping?

You need a master key, only the dealer can get you one, they will take your VIN# and punch it into their computer and then cut you a key which you can then have copied anywhere.

So, here is what I would do, go to the dealer, tell them what you need, a new key and remote and see if they want your first born or second.

If you are really nice and you catch the guy in a good mood you might only pay for the remote and the key will be free.

And yes, if yoiur truck does not leak you cant be a member here.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Thank Spike for the clarification. But the remote with uncut key off ebay is less than $100 plus shipping. Also it includes programming instructions. I once purchased a remote and followed the self- program instructions no problem for my Jag.

I will check in with my local dealership.

Does anyone know what this cardboard hole on the front passenger is and the messed up panel? Is this typical for Disco?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone take note. This is how a thread about a new Disco should be. Pictures are included. They weren't in the original post but they are in the thread so it's forgiven. I think we need to adopt a rule that no one gets help with their newly purchased Disco until we see pictures. Could just be me but I really like seeing other Discos.

Very nice looking truck. I love that color. That's the color I want when I get my next LR. I've never seen those wheels before and still undecided whether I like them or not but have to give them points for uniqueness.

Rovers don't leak, they mark their territory. It's the ones that leave a trail so you can find your way home that you have to worry about.

Last edited by AK Rover; 06-05-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: OWNER! 2004 Discovery Westminster Edition WIN!