Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prob #1...cylinder 2 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default prob #1...cylinder 2 misfire

Oh woe is me...just travelled 1200 miles and have few tools to work with!.

i wrote here a few weeks back about a cylinder 2 misfire, i was advised to change plugs and wires..which i did and the problem went away until i got 1200 miles away..now i have the same fault code.
It drives a little rough, and i can feel a misfire occasionally while driving, it does seem to be running on all 8 cyl's mostly...but i can feel an occasional skip throughout the rev range....i'm hoping?? its a bad coil pack or injector, but how can i be sure which?... i put in another newplug today but that didn't fix it...any ideas?
I'm posting another problem with brakes shortly!

Old 11-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

What brand plug and wires did you install, what octane gas are you using, have you been having to ad coolant to the engine lately and what is the exact fault code do you have?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Mudding

i used champion plugs (regular ones as i heard platinums are just a marketing hype) and the wires were "premium" from napa, I'll check the brand name in the morning and post. I was using regular octane, but recently changed to premium.
My bud did top off the coolant b4 the trip...i'll check with him tomorrow how much he added, the fault code is PO 302
The vehicle has been off the road for about 8 months...it was throwing a lean code, but since i've been using premium octane that seems to have gone.

What brand plug and wires did you install, what octane gas are you using, have you been having to ad coolant to the engine lately and what is the exact fault code do you have?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Most likely it will be the cheap Napa wires. You have to use good quality 8 mm wires or they will fail.
Regular plugs will last up to 30,000 miles, good platinum plugs like Plus 4's and daul Platinum's can last to 100,000 miles, so don't believe everything you read, plus base plugs need more voltage to fire, making them less effective.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:34 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You should have taken the advice that I'm sure was given to you when you asked the 1st time around. Magacor 8mm wires (from apex performance) or if you are on a budget then try kingsborne.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Ya, it sounds like its arching..You are losing spark some where...

Old 11-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Mudding

the wires are 8mm performance wires....i opened the hood in the dark to see if i could see arcing (like i did when i found the original problem) before i replaced the wires i saw arcing at the coil pack. after changing the wires i see NO arcing anywhere in the dark with the hood open.

I did not have time to find the wires suggested previously...i was leaving for GA the next day...it was napa premium or nothing

Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Mudding

well one test i just thought of that no one mentioned is to try swapping 2 wires around to see if the misfire changes cylinders....i find it hard to believe that the new #2 wire has coincidently died after 1200 or so miles, premium brand name or premium napa. I think the coil is to blame...if not the coil then an "iffy" injector.
Another test i'll try..(appears I am on a roll with ideas tonight) will be to disconnect the #2 wire, attatch a spare plug to it, ground the plug and watch for spark action...and compare to spark action on a known good wire.
Is #2 plug 2nd LHS from the front of the engine?

Old 07-29-2012, 04:54 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking on changing spark plugs and wires, going with your post, i searched for 8 mm wires specific for LR discovery 2, and could not came up with a set that said that it was 8 mm, most just say its premium wires. Can i used one of those universal sets from "orreally" 8 mm wires sets? The reason i want to changed the wires is because some times i will get a "service engine soon" and a little bit of shaking but then i will go away. I figured i could do the wires and spark plugs and then maybe the coils.

Julian

LR disco ii, 108K miles

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Most likely it will be the cheap Napa wires. You have to use good quality 8 mm wires or they will fail.
Regular plugs will last up to 30,000 miles, good platinum plugs like Plus 4's and daul Platinum's can last to 100,000 miles, so don't believe everything you read, plus base plugs need more voltage to fire, making them less effective.